All-Star Reader Night | Tracking & Reporting | Book Drives | Resource Material | FAQ
Registration for the 2014-15 season is CLOSED
The Reading Is Cool presented by Comerica Bank Program
Reading Is Cool presented by Comerica Bank is a free and unique literacy program focused on public K-6 grade classrooms in Santa Clara County and southern Alameda County (Fremont, Newark and Union City), although private schools and schools outside the program's geographic boundaries are eligible for some elements. The program promotes the importance of reading while sharing the excitement and enjoyment of a good book. Through a multifaceted approach that includes exclusive experiences and incentives, students are encouraged to succeed as individual readers and as a classroom team.
Reading Is Cool presented by Comerica Bank is designed for individual classrooms and runs from October through April, parallel to the San Jose Sharks regular season. The best feature of the program is that it is easy to integrate and teachers can make it fit their class' needs. Every teacher who registers will be provided:
- A set of All-Star Reader medals
- MVP Reader medal
- Bookmarks for every student
- Certificates of Participation for every student
- Tracking Poster for students to record monthly totals
- All-Star Reader Poster to acknowledge outstanding readers
- Promotional poster for the classroom
- A "thank you" gift for each participating teacher
Students track the number of pages they read each month on printable Student Reading Logs or on this electronic Student Reading Log. Teachers then report their class' total pages read each month. For the individual awards, teachers select the student each month they feel is most deserving based on number of pages, minutes, or books read, or can base the decision on most improved or greatest effort. That's it!
Along the way there are other exciting elements to the program including classroom visits from mascot S.J. Sharkie, Celebrity Story Hours, and an All-Star Reader Night hosted at SAP.
Throughout the course of the season, the Foundation holds several RIC Book Drives in order to collect and redistribute books to some of the program’s participating classrooms. Bring new or gently used books to the drives hosted at SAP and receive raffle tickets for the chance to win great Sharks prizes. Bring new or gently used books to the drives hosted at various Comerica Bank locations and get the chance to meet S.J. Sharkie and a Sharks celebrity!
2014-15 RIC Book Drive Dates:All dates are subject to change
• Thursday, October 23: SAP - North & South Entrances from when doors open until puck drop
• Saturday, October 25: SAP - North & South Entrances from when doors open until puck drop
• Friday November 21: Comerica Bank Los Gatos - 3:30-4:30PM with #32 Alex Stalock
• Friday, February 27: Comerica Bank Willow Glen - 3:30-4:30PM with #81 Tyler Kennedy
If you are a private school or outside the program's geographic boundary click here.
If you would like to be added to the RIC program contact list for the 2015-16 season email: ReadingIsCool@sharkssports.net
Click here for photos and a full recap of the 2014-15 Reading Is Cool presented by Comerica Bank program.