Report from Worcester - 12/30/2013
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
The Sharks began the post-holiday stretch with a 4-0 loss to the Providence Bruins in front of 5,186 at the DCU Center on Thursday followed by an impressive 5-2 victory over the IceCaps at home on Friday. Worcester closed out the 3-in-3 with a 3-2 overtime loss in Hartford on Saturday.
Bracken Kearns skated in his 500th AHL game vs. the IceCaps on Friday and then scored his 1st career NHL goal for the SJ Sharks in their 3-1 win over the Ducks on Sunday.
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is rookie defenseman Dylan Demelo. The 20-year-old d-man from London, Ontario recorded three points (0-3-3) in three games last week highlighted by a multipoint game (0-2-2) in the Sharks 5-2 win over the IceCaps on Friday.
The Sharks continue their season long five game road trip with four games this week which begins on Tuesday in Glens Falls, NY and ends on Sunday in Providence, RI.
Defenseman Rob Davison has played in 699 professional games. The Sharks captain is expected to play in professional game #700 when the Sharks visit the Adirondack Phantoms on Tuesday.
Few things to know….
- The Worcester Sharks are currently in 5th place (13-12-2-1, 29pts) in the Atlantic Division and 14th place overall in the Eastern Conference. – the Sharks trail by six points for the 8th and final playoff spot in the East but have three games in hand over the St. John’s IceCaps.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 14 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Stalock, Irwin, Vlasic, Nieto, Hamilton, McCarthy, and Kearns).
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 2nd place in the Pacific Division and 4th place in the Western Conference with 56 points and a 25-8-6 record.
- The Worcester Sharks have played the fewest amount of games in the AHL (28).
- Rookie goaltender Troy Grosenick ranks 8th among all AHL goaltenders with a 2.27 GAA and tied for 2nd with three shootout wins, and is 6-4-0-0 this season.
- Veteran Bracken Kearns is tied for the team lead with 18 points (5-13-18), tops in power play points (3-7-10), and has played in his 500th AHL game on Dec 28 vs. The IceCaps. Kearns was recalled by the SJ Sharks on Dec 28 and scored his 1st NHL goal in a 3-1 win over the Ducks on Dec 29.
- Despite missing nine games due to injury, Daniil Tarasov is tied for the team lead with 18 points (9-9-18) through just 19 games. Tarasov is 6th in AHL with three game winning goals and also has a shootout game winner.
- 2nd year pro Freddie Hamilton leads the club with 11 goals, tied for the team lead in points (11-7-18), and tops with four 1st goals.
- Adam Comrie leads all Worcester defenseman with ten points (1-9-10) in 21 games.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Matt Nieto (Oct 8 vs. NYR), Matt Pelech (Oct 10 at VAN), and Bracken Kearns(Dec 29 vs. ANA) each have scored their first career NHL goals for the SJ Sharks this season
- Worcester Sharks alumni Alex Stalock is 4-1-0 with the San Jose Sharks this season with a 2.02 GAA and a .936 save %. Stalock made 44 saves, was 5-for-5 in the shootout, and was the #1 star in his first career start at the SAP Center in San Jose in the Sharks 3-2SOW vs the Stars on Dec 21.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 553 wins in his career (16th season) and 2nd in games coached in the AHL with 1220.
Top 3… Last Week!
- Harri Sateri made 34 saves and was the #1 star in the Sharks 5-2 win vs. St. John’s on Friday!
- Dylan Demelo recorded two assists in the Sharks 5-2 win vs. St. John’s on Friday!
- Dan DaSilva scored a highlight reel goal in the Sharks 3-2 overtime loss at Hartford on Saturday!
Last Week: (1-1-1-0) 3pts, 3gp
Thu. 12/26 L Providence Bruins 4 @ Worcester SHARKS 0
Fri. 12/27 W St. John’s IceCaps 2 @ Worcester SHARKS 5
Sat. 12/28 OTL Worcester SHARKS 2 @ Hartford Wolf Pack 3
Tue. 12/31 Worcester SHARKS @ Adirondack Phantoms – 5pm
Fri. 1/3 Worcester SHARKS @ Providence Bruins – 7:05pm
Sat. 1/4 Worcester SHARKS @ Hartford Wolf Pack – 7pm
Sun. 1/5 Worcester SHARKS @ Providence Bruins – 3:05pm
Rewind the Tape:
12.26.13 – Providence 4 – Worcester 0 – L – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (12-12-1-1, 26pts) fell back to .500 after getting shutout for the 2nd straight game in a 4-0 loss to the Providence Bruins (15-9-1-5, 36pts) in front of 5,186 fans at the DCU Center on Thursday evening in the first game back after the three day holiday break. Carter Camper, Scott Campbell, Anthony Camara, and Seth Griffith scored for the Bruins while Niklas Svedberg made 34 saves for his 1st shutout of the season. Troy Grosenick made 28 saves in net for Worcester as the Sharks have not scored a goal in 127:48.
12.27.13 – St. John’s 2 – Worcester 5 – W – DCU Center
Five different goal scorers propelled the Worcester Sharks (13-12-1-1, 28pts) to a 5-2 victory over the St. John’s IceCaps (15-12-1-2, 33pts) in front of 3,698 fans at the DCU Center on Friday evening. Harri Sateri was brilliant with 34 saves in net while Freddie Hamilton, Taylor Doherty, Marek Viedensky, Brodie Reid, and Eriah Hayes scored for the Sharks in the victory. Dylan Demelo and James Livingston each added two assists for Worcester.
12.28.13 – Hartford 3 – Worcester 2 – OTL – XL Center
The Worcester Sharks (13-12-2-1, 29pts) began a season high five game road trip with a 3-2 overtime loss to the Hartford Wolf Pack (11-15-0-4, 26pts) in front of 4,724 fans at the XL Center in Hartford, CT on Saturday evening. The Sharks finished the 3-in-3 post-holiday break with a 1-1-1-0 record and return to action on New Year’s Eve in Adirondack, NY. Dan DaSilva scored a highlight reel goal in the first period and Freddie Hamilton forced overtime with his team leading 11th goal early in the third period as the Sharks battled back from a 2-0 deficit. Harri Sateri was solid in net again for Worcester as he made 28 saves in the overtime loss.
Season by the numbers...
Record: 13-12-2-1, 29 points – 5th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .518% – 18th in AHL, 10th in East
Home Record: 6-7-0-1
Away Record: 7-5-2-0
Attendance: 47,976 through 14 games this season – 3,427 average – 24th in AHL
Goals Scored: 67, 2.39 goals per game, 27th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 80, 2.86 goals against per game, 16th in AHL
Shots per game: 33.00 – 5th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 27.50 – 4th in AHL
Score 1st: 7-2-1-1 when scoring first (.727%)
1 goal games: 7-3-2-1 in one goal games
PP: 13.8%, 24th in AHL (18-130)
PK: 84.3%, 11th in AHL (20-127)
SHG – 2 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 6 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 21.54 penalty minutes per game, 8th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 34 – 9th in AHL
OT Games – 8 – (0-2 record in OT)
SO Games – 6 – (5-1 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 25 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
NHL debuts – 1 Worcester Sharks alumni making their NHL debuts this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals Hamilton (11)
Game Winners Tarasov (3)
Assists Kearns (13)
Points Hamilton (11-7-8), Tarasov (9-9-18), Kearns (5-13-18)
Power play Points Kearns (3-7-10)
Shots Hayes (78)
PIM Gogol (88)
Fighting Pen. Bonneau (6)
Plus/Minus Bonneau and Doherty (+3)
Wins Sateri (7)
G.A.A. Grosenick (2.27)
Save % Grosenick (.916)
Shutouts Grosenick (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com