Report from Worcester - 12/16/2013
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Despite firing 40 shots on goal on Friday, the Sharks began the weekend with a 3-1 loss to the Manchester Monarchs at the DCU Center followed by a disappointing 5-1 loss to the Pirates in Lewiston, ME on Saturday.
Freddie Hamilton returned to Worcester after appearing in three games with the San Jose Sharks and forward Dan DaSilva was signed to a standard player AHL contract for the remainder of the season on Dec 12.
The Sharks will host a Skate with the Sharks in Fitchburg on Dec 17 from 5:20-7:10pm and will be hosted by the Twin City Youth Hockey Association. The Sharks will hold a team practice from approximately 5:20-6:20p.m. Following practice, fans will have the opportunity to skate with the team and FINZ from 6:25-7:10p.m. Skate with the Sharks is free to attend and open for all Sharks fans to participate. Helmets are required.
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is forward Eriah Hayes. The 25-year-old rookie forward from La Crescent, MN fired eight shots and had an even rating in two games last week.
The Sharks four game road trip continues Friday in Wilkes-Barre Scranton followed by a pair of games in Hershey on Saturday and Sunday.
Few things to know….
- The Worcester Sharks are currently in 5th place (10-10-1-1, 22pts) in the Atlantic Division and 14th place overall in the Eastern Conference. – the Sharks trail by nine points for the 8th and final playoff spot in the East but have five games in hand over the Norfolk Admirals.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 12 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Stalock, Irwin, Vlasic, Nieto, Hamilton and McCarthy).
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 3rd place in the Pacific Division and 5th place in the Western Conference with 46 points and a 20-7-6 record.
- The Worcester Sharks have played the fewest amount of games in the AHL (22).
- Defenseman Nick Petrecki played in his 254th game as a member of the Worcester Sharks on Dec 8, surpassing Mike Moore for the franchise lead in games played.
- The Worcester Sharks are tied for the lead in the AHL with five shootout wins this season.
- Rookie goaltender Troy Grosenick ranks 2nd among all AHL goaltenders with a 2.01 GAA and tied for 2nd with three shootout wins, and is 5-3-0-0 this season.
- Despite missing seven games due to injury, Daniil Tarasov leads the club with nine goals, 17 points (9-8-17) through just 15 games. Tarasov is 3rd in AHL with three game winning goals and also has a shootout game winner.
- Adam Comrie leads all Worcester defenseman with nine points (1-8-9) in 16 games.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Matt Nieto (Oct 8 vs. NYR) and Matt Pelech (Oct 10 at VAN) each have scored their first career NHL goals for the SJ Sharks this season
- Worcester Sharks alumni Alex Stalock is 3-1-0 with the San Jose Sharks this season with a 2.06 GAA and a .930 save %.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 550 wins in his career (16th season) and 2nd in games coached in the AHL with 1214.
Top 3… Last Week!
- Daniil Tarasov scored a highlight reel goal on the power play in the Sharks 3-1 loss to Manchester on Friday!
- Rylan Schwartz picked up his 3rd goal of the season in the Sharks 5-1 loss at Portland on Saturday!
- Eriah Hayes fired four shots on goal and hit the post in the Sharks 3-1 loss to the Monarchs on Friday!
Last Week: (0-2-0-0) 0pts, 2gp
Fri. 12/13 L Manchester Monarchs 3 @ Worcester SHARKS 1
Sat. 12/14 L Worcester SHARKS 1 @ Portland Pirates (in Lewiston, ME) 5
Fri. 12/20 Worcester SHARKS @ Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins – 7:05pm
Sat. 12/21 Worcester SHARKS @ Hershey Bears – 7pm
Sun. 12/22 Worcester SHARKS @ Hershey Bears – 5pm
Rewind the Tape:
12.13.13 – Manchester 3 – Worcester 1 – L – DCU Center
Daniil Tarasov scored his team leading 9th goal late in the first period but it was the only strike for the Worcester Sharks (10-9-1-1, 22pts) in a 3-1 loss to the Manchester Monarchs (17-5-1-4, 40pts) at the DCU Center on Friday evening. With the loss, the Sharks six game point (5-0-0-1) came to an end as
Andrew Campbell tied the score late in the second period for Manchester, AJ Gale scored twice in the third and goaltender JF Berube was fantastic in net making 39 saves for the victory.
12.14.13 – Portland 5 – Worcester 1 – L – Androscoggin Bank Colisee
The Worcester Sharks (10-10-1-1, 22pts) dropped back to .500 after a disappointing 5-1 loss to the Portland Pirates (10-9-1-4, 25pts) at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee in Lewiston, ME on Saturday night to kick off a four game road trip. Andy Miele recorded five points (3-2-5) for Portland and Mark Visentin made 30 saves as Worcester scored just once for the 6th time this season. Harri Sateri made 21 saves in the loss as Rylan Schwartz scored the only Worcester goal early in the third period.
Season by the numbers...
Record: 10-10-1-1, 22 points – 5th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .500% – 21st in AHL, 13th in East
Home Record: 5-6-0-1
Away Record: 5-4-1-0
Attendance: 39,092 through 12 games this season – 3,258 average – 24th in AHL
Goals Scored: 53, 2.41 goals per game, 27th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 64, 2.91 goals against per game, 17th in AHL
Shots per game: 32.73 – 5th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 26.32 – 3rd in AHL
Score 1st: 5-1-1-1 when scoring first (.750%)
1 goal games: 6-3-1-1 in one goal games
PP: 13.7%, 26th in AHL (14-102)
PK: 83.2%, 12th in AHL (17-101)
SHG – 2 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 4 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 22.59 penalty minutes per game, 8th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 30 – 9th in AHL
OT Games – 7 – (0-1 record in OT)
SO Games – 6 – (5-1 record in SO) – most shootout wins in AHL
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 25 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
NHL debuts – 1 Worcester Sharks alumni making their NHL debuts this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals Tarasov (9)
Game Winners Tarasov (3)
Assists Kearns (11)
Points Tarasov (9-8-17)
Power play Points Tarasov (5-3-8) and Kearns (3-5-8)
Shots Hayes (58)
PIM Davison (62)
Fighting Pen. Bonneau (6)
Plus/Minus Tarasov (+7)
Wins Grosenick and Sateri (5)
G.A.A. Grosenick (2.01)
Save % Grosenick (.922)
Shutouts Grosenick (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com