Report from Worcester - 11/18/2013
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Sharks began their first ever three game regular season series with a 3-2 overtime loss in St. John’s on Wednesday to extend their losing skid to four games (0-3-1-0). Worcester bounced back with a 3-2 shootout win on Friday vs. the IceCaps and followed up on Saturday with a 2-1 shootout victory in St. John’s to close out the three game set 2-0-1-0.
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is goaltender Harri Sateri. The 24-year old third year pro was named the #1 star in back-to-back games last week with a 27 save/7-for-9 in shootout performance in 3-2 shootout win on Friday followed by a 24 save/4-for-5 in shootout performance in 2-1 shootout win on Saturday in St. John’s.
Few things to know:
- The Worcester Sharks are currently in 5th place (5-7-1-0, 11pts) in the Atlantic Division and 15th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 12 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Stalock, Irwin, Vlasic, Nieto, and McCarthy).
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 2nd place in the Pacific Division and 3rd place in the Western Conference with 31 points and a 13-3-5 record.
- After becoming the final team in the AHL to play an overtime game on Wednesday, the WorSharks have currently played a franchise high three straight games that have ended in either overtime or the shootout (2-0-1-0).
- The Worcester Sharks have won two straight games for the 1st time since March 10 and 13 of last season and currently have a three game point streak (2-0-1-0).
- Daniil Tarasov leads the club with seven goals and 12 points (7-5-12) through just 10 games. Tarasov leads the entire AHL with three game winning goals.
- Sena Acolatse and Adam Comrie co-lead Worcester d-men with six points (1-5-6) each.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Matt Nieto (Oct 8 vs. NYR) and Matt Pelech (Oct 10 at VAN) each have scored their first career NHL goals for the SJ Sharks this season.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Alex Stalock is a perfect 3-0-0 with the San Jose Sharks this season with a 1.41GAA and a .952 save %.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 545 wins in his career (16th season) and 2nd in games coached in the AHL with 1205.
- The Sharks play three games this week, including a pair of games at the DCU Center this weekend.
- Friday at 7pm the Sharks visit the Manchester Monarchs.
- Saturday at 7pm the Sharks host the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Teddy Bear Toss Night presented by Bay State Savings Bank!
- Sunday at 3pm the Sharks host the Manchester Monarchs on $5 Kids Sunday!
Top 3… Last Week
- Harri Sateri made 27 saves and was 7-for-9 in the shootout in the Sharks 3-2 shootout win at St. John’s on Friday!
- Harri Sateri made 24 saves and was 4-for-5 in the shootout in the Sharks 2-1 shootout win at St. John’s on Saturday!
- Travis Oleksuk scored his 1st goal of the season and scored in the shootout in the Sharks 2-1 win at St. John’s on Saturday!
Wed. 11/13 OTL Worcester SHARKS 2 @ St. John’s IceCaps 3
Fri. 11/15 SOW Worcester SHARKS 3 @ St. John’s IceCaps 2
Sat. 11/16 SOW Worcester SHARKS 2 @ St. John’s IceCaps 1
Rewind the Tape:
11.13.13 – St. John’s 3 – Worcester 2 – OTL – Mile One Centre
The Worcester Sharks (3-7-1-0, 7pts) squandered a 2-0 lead after 40 minutes of play and eventually fell in overtime to the St. John’s IceCaps (7-7-1-0, 15pts) by the count of 3-2 in front of 6,287 at the Mile One Centre on Wednesday night to kick off a three game series north of the border in St. John’s. Rylan Schwartz scored his 1st goal of the season for the Sharks while Daniil Tarasov scored his team leading 7th goal to lead the way offensively as Worcester dropped their fourth straight game. Andrew Gordon and Jerome Samson scored in the third period for the IceCaps to force overtime before Samson won the game at: 26 for St. John’s in the extra frame.
11.15.13 – St. John’s 2 – Worcester 3 – SOW – Mile One Centre
Defenseman Sena Acolatse scored in round 9 of the shootout as the Worcester Sharks (4-7-1-0, 9pts) snapped a four game skid (0-3-1-0) with a 3-2 shootout victory over the St. John’s IceCaps (7-7-1-1, 165pts) in front of 6,287 at the Mile One Centre on Friday night in game two of a three game series north of the border in St. John’s. Harri Sateri was brilliant in net earning the games 1st star with 27 saves and seven more stops in the shootout while Brodie Reid and Freddie Hamilton scored for the Sharks in the win. Jason Jaffray and Jerome Samson scored for the IceCaps as St. John’s battled back from 1-0 and 2-1 deficits to force overtime in the second straight game.
11.16.13 – St. John’s 1 – Worcester 2 – SOW – Mile One Centre
For the second time in 24 hours the Worcester Sharks (5-7-1-0, 11pts) defeated the St. John’s IceCaps (7-7-1-2, 17pts) in the shootout in front of 6,287 at the Mile One Centre on Saturday night in game three of a three game series north of the border in St. John’s. With the 2-1 victory, the Sharks picked up five out of a possible six points and won back-to-back games for the 1st time since early March. Harri Sateri was brilliant in net once again earning the games 1st star with 24 saves and four more stops in the shootout while Travis Oleksuk scored in the third period to force overtime. Jerome Samson scored early on the power play for the IceCaps; his 4th goal of the series but it was all St. John’s would muster.
Season by the numbers...
Record: 5-7-1-0, 11 points – 5th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .423% – 27th in AHL
Home Record: 2-5-0-0
Away Record: 3-2-1-0
Attendance: 22,423 through seven games this season – 3,203 average – 24th in AHL
Goals Scored: 29, 2.23 goals per game, 29th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 41, 3.15 goals against per game, 22nd in AHL
Shots per game: 31.35 – 12th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 26.85 – 5th in AHL
Score 1st: 3-1-1-0 when scoring first (.700%)
1 goal games: 3-3-1-0 in one goal games
PP: 16.9%, 14th in AHL (11-65)
PK: 82.7%, 18th in AHL (13-75)
SHG – 2 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 27.54 penalty minutes per game, 1st in AHL
Fighting Majors: 21 – 5th in AHL
OT Games – 3 – (0-1 record in OT) –
SO Games – 2 – (2-0 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 24 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
NHL debuts – 1 Worcester Sharks alumni making their NHL debuts this season
Goals Tarasov (7)
Game Winners Tarasov (3)
Assists Kearns (8)
Points Tarasov (7-5-12)
Power play Points Kearns (3-4-7)
Shots Reid (41)
PIM Doherty (52)
Fighting Pen. Doherty and Gogol (4)
Plus/Minus Doherty (+3)
Wins Sateri (3)
G.A.A. Grosenick (2.36)
Save % Grosenick (.918)
Shutouts Grosenick (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com