Report from Worcester - 11/4/2013
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Shark Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (3-4-0-0, 6pts) chomped two of a possible four points in two games last week.
Worcester laid an egg on Friday night with a 7-1 loss at the DCU Center vs. the Bridgeport Sound Tigers but bounced back with a terrific performance on Saturday led by a 27 save outing by rookie Troy Grosenick in a 3-0 victory over the St. John’s IceCaps.
Saturday was a night of firsts for the Sharks this season. The Sharks received their 1st goal scored by a defenseman as Sena Acolatse scored his 1st of the season vs. the IceCaps. In addition, the Sharks scored their 1st shorthanded goal (Curt Gogol) on Saturday and Troy Grosenick recorded the 1st Sharks shutout of the year which was also Grosenick’s 1st professional shutout. It was also the 1st time the Sharks had ever defeated the IceCaps at the DCU Center (Worcester was 0-3-3 prior).
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is goaltender Troy Grosenick. The 24-year old Union College alum made 27 saves in his first 1st professional shutout in just his 2nd professional start in the 3-0 win over the IceCaps in Worcester on Saturday.
- The Worcester Sharks are currently in 4th place (3-4-0-0, 6pts) in the Atlantic Division and 14th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- The Worcester Sharks have only played seven games (fewest in AHL) this season but will embark in their 1st 3-in-3 stretch beginning on Friday in Lewiston.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 12 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Stalock, Irwin, Vlasic, Nieto, and McCarthy)
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 1st place in the Pacific Division and 2nd place in the Western Conference with 23 points and a 10-1-3 record.
- Veteran defenseman Rob Davison was named the 6th captain in Worcester sharks history before the game on Oct 12. Bracken Kearns and Jimmy Bonneau are the alternate captains.
- Rookie netminder Troy Grosenick is a perfect 2-0-0 this season with a 1.33 GAA and a .955 save %.
- Bracken Kearns (2-8-10) leads the Worcester Sharks in points (10), assists (8), penalty minutes (31), power play points (2-4-6), and fighting majors (3).
- Daniil Tarasov leads the club with six goals and 2nd with nine points (6-3-9) through just six games. Tarasov leads the entire AHL with three game winning goals. During the 1st intermission on Nov 1, about 100 hats were thrown onto the DCU Center ice for a delayed hat trick celebration for Tarasov’s hat trick from Oct 26 at Springfield.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Matt Nieto (Oct 8 vs. NYR) and Matt Pelech (Oct 10 at VAN) each have scored their first career NHL goals for the SJ Sharks.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Alex Stalock made his 1st NHL start on Oct 27 and made 38 saves in a 5-2 SJ Sharks win at Ottawa.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 543 wins in his career (16th season) and 2nd in games coached in the AHL with 1199.
- The Sharks play three games this week;
- Friday at 7pm – the Sharks travel to Lewiston, ME to battle the Portland Pirates!
- Saturday at 7pm – the Sharks welcome the Providence Bruins to the DCU Center! The Sharks will wear a specialty jersey in support of the Autism Resource Center of Central Massachusetts which will be auctioned off throughout the game! Bring a canned food item to support the Worcester County Sheriff’s Department Canned Food Drive to benefit the Friendly House of Worcester! Everyone that makes a donation will receive a ticket voucher to a future Sharks game compliments of Price Chopper!
- Sunday at 3pm – the Sharks host the Portland Pirates on $5 Kid’s Sunday! Join us after the game for the annual Hat & Mittens Holiday Skate with the Sharks players courtesy of Price Chopper!
- Troy Grosenick recorded his 1st professional shutout in his 2nd professional start with 27 saves in a 3-0W vs. St. John’s on Saturday!
- Sena Acolatse scored his 1st goal of the season, an insurance goal in the Sharks 3-0W vs. St. John’s on Saturday!
- Daniil Tarasov scored his AHL leading 3rd game winning goal of the season in the Sharks 3-0W vs. St. John’s on Saturday!
Fri. 11/1 L Bridgeport Sound Tigers 7 @ Worcester SHARKS 1
Sat. 11/2 W St. John’s IceCaps 0 @ Worcester SHARKS 3
Fri. 11/8 Worcester SHARKS @ Portland Pirates (in Lewiston, ME) – 7pm
Sat. 11/9 Providence Bruins @ Worcester SHARKS – 7pm
Sun. 11/10 Portland Pirates @ Worcester SHARKS – 3pm
11.1.13 – Bridgeport 7 – Worcester 1 – L – DCU Center
Freddie Hamilton returned from San Jose and netted a goal, but it wasn’t enough to put the Sharks on top, as the Worcester Sharks (2-4-0-0, 4 pts) fell 7-1 to the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (2-5-1-0, 5 pts) on Friday night at the DCU Center. Of the eight goals scored, five came from power plays, with the Sound Tigers converting on four of nine opportunities. Bridgeport starting goaltender Anders Nilsson had a strong outing, going 27-for-28 in the win for the Sound Tigers. Both Sharks goalies saw action with starting goaltender Harri Sateri going 23-for-29 and Troy Grosenick going 6-for-7. The star performers for the night were Bridgeport’s Ryan Strome (2-3-5) and Mike Halmo (2-2-4), who each picked up a pair of goals as the Sound Tigers broke a five game losing skid.
11.2.13 – St. John’s 0 – Worcester 3 – W – DCU Center
Rookie Troy Grosenick dazzled in his second professional start as the Worcester Sharks (3-4-0-0, 6pts) bounced back with a 3-0 shutout victory over the St. John’s IceCaps (5-6-1-0, 11pts) at the DCU Center on Saturday night. Grosenick went 27-for-27 in the Sharks’ first home shutout since November 4, 2012. Worcester defeated the IceCaps for the first time in seven tries (1-3-2-1) at the DCU Center as Daniil Tarasov, Sena Acolatse, and Curt Gogol each scored in the victory.
Record: 3-4-0-0, 6 points – 4th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .429% – 25th in AHL
Home Record: 2-3-0-0
Away Record: 1-1-0-0
Attendance: 14,028 through five games this season – 2,806 average – 26th in AHL
Goals Scored: 16, 2.29 goals per game, 27th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 21, 3.00 goals against per game, 16th in AHL
Shots per game: 31.00 – 12th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 26.71 – 5th in AHL
Score 1st: 2-1-0-0 when scoring first (.667%)
1 goal games: 1-2-0-0 in one goal games
PP: 20.0%, 9th in AHL (7-35)
PK: 83.3%, 11th in AHL (6-36)
SHG – 1 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 2 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 26.57 penalty minutes per game, 2nd in AHL
Fighting Majors: 12 – 6th in AHL
OT Games – 0 – (0-0 record in OT) – 1 of 2 teams yet to play an OT game
SO Games – 0 – (0-0 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 24 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
NHL debuts – 1 Worcester Sharks alumni making their NHL debuts this season
Goals Tarasov (6)
Game Winners Tarasov (3)
Assists Kearns (7)
Points Kearns (2-8-10)
Power play Points Kearns (2-4-6)
Shots Hayes (23)
PIM Kearns (31)
Fighting Pen. Bonneau and Kearns (3)
Plus/Minus Doherty and Tarasov (+2)
Wins Grosenick (2)
G.A.A. Grosenick (1.33)
Save % Grosenick (.955)
Shutouts Grosenick (1)
Socialize with the Worcester Sharks all year long! Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WorcesterSharks, follow us on Twitter @WorcesterSharks, and download the Worcester Sharks App for free on your Droid or iPhone today!
All games can be heard live on 580AM and 94.9FM WTAG, as well as online through AHL Live, by following the link on the Sharks website at www.SharksAHL.com.
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com