Report from Worcester - 1/16/2013
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is forward Brodie Reid. Brodie gathered four points (3-1-4) and 13 shots in four games last week to lead the way offensively for Worcester.
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 2nd place (19-15-1-2, 41pts) in the Atlantic Division and 5th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- Eight players are currently in San Jose and participating in the SJ Sharks training camp (Sheppard, Kearns, Tennyson, Irwin, McCarthy, McLaren, Pelech, Petrecki).
- The Sharks signed former Holy Cross standout and AHL veteran Patrick Rissmiller to a PTO on Jan 9. Rissmiller played parts of four seasons with the San Jose Sharks.
- Worcester is 2-4-0-0 in the month of January.
- Worcester has a 13-7-1-1 record vs. the Atlantic Division this season. – best record within the division.
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 14 one-goal wins. Worcester is 14-5-1-2 in one goal games this season.
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 6 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (6-11-0-1). In addition the Sharks are 6-2-0-1 when tied after 40 minutes of play.
- Leading scorer Tim Kennedy has 30 points (12-18-30) in 31 games but has missed the last six games due to injury.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 528 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1153.
- Worcester has played 10 overtime games this season (4th most in AHL) and leads the AHL with 5 shootout victories.
- The Sharks continue their four game home stand with a 7pm start vs. the Bears on Wednesday, a 7:30pm tilt vs. the Monarchs on Friday, and a 7pm faceoff vs. the Adirondack Phantoms on Saturday.
- Unemployed fans can receive up to four tickets for their family on Wednesday vs. the Bears in partnership with the Workforce Center Career Centers.
- Friday night’s game vs. the Monarchs will be the first of five home games televised live on Charter TV3.
- The first 4,000 fans on Saturday will receive a Rob Gronkowski PUCK SPIKE bobblehead presented by Enterprise Cleaning Corp. as the Sharks host the Adirondack Phantoms at 7pm.
Top 3… Last Week
- Defenseman Nick Petrecki scored his first goal of the season, the OT game winner at 4:18 in the Sharks 4-3 win over the Falcons on Friday!
- Harri Sateri was superb with 38 saves in the Sharks 3-1 loss to the Portland Pirates on Sunday!
- Denny Urban had a power play goal and an assist in his DCU Center debut in the Sharks 4-3 overtime win over the Falcons on Friday!
Tues. 1/8 L Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Portland Pirates 7
Fri. 1/11 OTW Springfield Falcons 3 @ Worcester SHARKS 4
Sat. 1/12 L Worcester SHARKS 1 @ Albany Devils 4
Sun. 1/13 L Portland Pirates 3 @ Worcester SHARKS 1
Wed. 1/16 Hershey Bears @ Worcester SHARKS– 7pm
Fri. 1/18 Manchester Monarchs @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:30pm
Sat. 1/19 Adirondack Phantoms @ Worcester SHARKS – 7pm
Rewind the Tape:
The Worcester Sharks (18-13-1-2, 39pts) led 2-0 and 3-2 but the Pirates scored the final five goals as Worcester dropped a 7-3 decision to the Portland Pirates (21-12-1-1, 44pts) on Tuesday evening in front of 2,800 fans at the Cumberland County Civic Center. The Sharks finished 2-2-0-0 on their four game road trip. Denny Urban scored his first AHL goal while James Sheppard and Jon Matsumoto each picked up two assists in the loss for Worcester. Brodie Reid scored his 6th and 7th goals of the season and Alex Stalock allowed seven goals on 39 shots as the Pirates scored the final five goals for the 7-3 win.
1.11.13 – Worcester 4 – Springfield 3 – OTW – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (19-13-1-2, 41pts) topped the Northeast Division leading Springfield Falcons (19-9-3-3, 44pts) 4-3 in a see-saw overtime thriller on Friday evening in front of 3,663 fans at the DCU Center. Sharks defenseman Nick Petrecki (1st) delivered the knockout blow in overtime, burying the game-winner with 42 seconds remaining. The Sharks led 1-0, 2-1, 3-2, and eventually won 4-3. Denny Urban (2nd), Bracken Kearns (9th), and Freddie Hamilton (5th) also scored for Worcester. Harri Sateri was great in net for the Sharks, making 25 saves on 28 shots, giving his team a chance to win as John McCarthy and Jon Matsumoto each had two assists.
1.12.13 – Worcester 1 – Albany 4 – L – Times Union Center
The Worcester Sharks (19-14-1-2, 41pts) fell 4-1 to the Albany Devils (14-12-1-6, 35pts) on Saturday evening in front of 7,321 fans at the Times Union Center. Eight healthy regulars did not dress for Worcester (Tennyson, McCarthy, McLaren, Sheppard, Kearns, Irwin, Pelech, and Petrecki) as Patrick Rissmiller made his return to the Sharks organization in the 4-1 loss. Freddie Hamilton scored in his 2nd straight game and former Sharks winger Steve Zalewski scored and added an assist for the Devils. Alex Stalock made 24 saves in the loss for Worcester.
1.13.13 – Worcester 1 – Portland 3 – L – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (19-15-1-2, 41pts) fell to the division rival Portland Pirates (23-12-1-1, 48pts) 3-1 on Sunday afternoon in front of 4,728 fans at the DCU Center. Harri Sateri took the loss in the game, despite turning aside 38 of the 40 shots that he faced. Brodie Reid (8th) scored the lone goal for the Sharks in the loss, with Pat Rissmiller assisting on the goal for his first point in a Worcester Sharks uniform. Brett Hextall (6th), Chris Conner (7th), and Jordan Szwarz (6th) each had a goal in the game for Portland. Conner’s goal was the game-winner that came on a 3-on-3 in the second period.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 19-15-1-2, 41 points – 2nd in Atlantic and 5th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .554% - 14th in AHL
Home Record: 8-6-1-1
Away Record: 11-9-0-1
Attendance: 62,930 through 16 games (3,933 average)
Goals Scored: 97, 2.62 goals per game, 21st in AHL
Goals Allowed: 110, 2.97 goals against per game, 20th in AHL
Shots per game: 29.46 – 21st in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 30.84 – 17th in AHL
Score 1st: 11-7-0-1 when scoring first (.605%)
1 goal games: 14-5-1-2 in one goal games -14 wins most in AHL
PP: 16.8%, 16th in AHL (30-179)
PK: 81.7%, 21st in AHL (31-169)
SHG – 1 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 4 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 22.14 penalty minutes per game, 5th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 45 – 3rd in AHL
OT Games – 10 – (2-1 record in OT) – Hamilton and Petrecki OTG
SO Games – 7 – (5-2 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 34 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Players receiving call-ups to San Jose – 6
NHL debuts – 0 Worcester players made their NHL debuts this season
Call-ups to San Jose – 6 different call-ups to San Jose this season
Top Worcester Sharks:Goals Kennedy (12)
Game Winners Matsumoto (3)
Assists Kennedy (18)
Points Kennedy (12-18-30)
Power Play Points Kennedy (4-9-13) and Tennyson (2-11-13)
Shots Irwin (84 shots)
PIM Pelech (133)
Fighting Pen. Pelech (9)
Plus/Minus Kennedy (+5)
Wins Stalock (12)
G.A.A. Stalock (2.78)
Save % Sateri (.909)
Shutouts Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com