Report from Worcester - 1/9/2013
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is forward Jon Matsumoto. Jon finished the three games with three points (2-1-3) and his team leading 3rd game winning goal of the season in Hershey on Sunday.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 2nd place (18-12-1-2, 39pts) in the Atlantic Division and 5th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- Worcester finished with an 8-3-0-1 in the month of December.
- The Sharks finished the 2012 calendar year with a 32-35-9 record.
- The Sharks are 1-1-0-0 in two games in the month of January.
- The Sharks have won 11 of their last 15 road games (11-4-0-0) and are 2-1-0-0 on their four game road trip which concludes on Tuesday night in Portland.
- Worcester has a 13-5-1-1 record vs. the Atlantic Division this season.
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 6 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (6-8-0-1). In addition the Sharks are 6-2-0-1 when tied after 40 minutes of play.
- Worcester had played in 13 straight games decided by a single goal (8-4-0-1) before a 3-0 loss to the Penguins on Jan 5.
- Leading scorer Tim Kennedy has 30 points (12-18-30) in 31 games but has missed the last two games due to injury.
- The Sharks have allowed just one power play goal in the last six games and have killed off 24-of-25 penalties during that span.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 527 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1149.
- Worcester has played 9 overtime games this season (6th most in AHL) and leads the AHL with 5 shootout victories.
- Goaltender Alex Stalock picked up his 71st win as a member of the Worcester Sharks on Sunday at Hershey. Stalock trails the franchise win leader Thomas Greiss by just three wins.
- James Sheppard is tied for 1st in the AHL with four goals in the shootout this season (4-for-7)… Sheppard also is riding a hot streak with 10 points (5-5-10) in his last nine games.
- The Sharks finish a four game road trip with a 7pm start in Portland on Tuesday, return home to host the Falcons on Friday at 7:30pm, travel to Albany to battle the Devils at 5pm on Saturday, and host the Pirates on Sunday at 3pm.
Top 3… Last Week
- Alex Stalock stood on his head and made 30 saves in the Sharks 2-1 win over Hershey on Sunday!
- Captain John McCarthy scored the game winner with 66 seconds remaining in the Sharks 3-2 win at Manchester on Monday!
- Harri Sateri made 35 saves in a 3-2 win over the Monarchs in Manchester on Monday!
Mon. 12/31 W Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Manchester Monarchs 2
Sat. 1/5 L Worcester SHARKS 0 @ Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins 3
Sun. 1/6 W Worcester SHARKS 2 @ Hershey Bears 1
Tue. 1/8 Worcester SHARKS @ Portland Pirates – 7pm
Fri. 1/11 Springfield Falcons @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:30pm
Sat. 1/12 Worcester SHARKS @ Albany Devils – 5pm
Sun. 1/13 Portland Pirates @ Worcester SHARKS – 3pm
Rewind the Tape:
The Worcester Sharks (17-11-1-2, 37pts), in their 13th straight one goal game (8-4-0-1), defeated the Manchester Monarchs (14-15-2-2, 32pts) 3-2 on Monday evening in front of 9,051 fans at the Verizon Wireless Arena. With the win, the Sharks finished the calendar year 2012 with a 32-35-9 record (thanks Bill Ballou). Jon Matsumoto (8th) extended his point streak (2-2-4) to three games in the Shark’s 3-2 victory. Harri Sateri was awesome in net, stopping 35 of 37 Manchester shots, including 12 in the third period, to secure the win for Worcester. Captain John McCarthy scored with 66 seconds remaining for the game winner and Freddie Hamilton scored his first professional goal for Worcester as the Sharks grabbed their first three game win streak of the season.
1.5.13 – Worcester 0 – Wilkes-Barre Scranton 3 – L – Mohegan Sun Arena
The Worcester Sharks (17-12-1-2, 37pts) fell 3-0 to the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins (15-15-2-1, 33pts) on Saturday evening in front of 5,884 fans at the Mohegan Sun Arena. Brad Thiessen made 30 saves for the Penguins as Worcester was shutout for the first time since the home opener 4-0 to the Devils on Oct 20. Harri Sateri made 17 in the loss as the Sharks streak of 13 straight games decided by a single goal came to an end in the 3-0 loss.
1.6.13 – Worcester 2 – Hershey 1 – W – Giant Center
The Worcester Sharks (18-12-1-2, 39pts) battled out a 2-1 win over the Hershey Bears (16-16-1-1, 34pts) on Sunday evening in front of 10,168 fans at the Giant Center. The Sharks are now 2-1-0-0 on their four game road trip which concludes Tuesday night at Portland vs. the Pirates. Alex Stalock made 30 saves in net for Worcester and Jon Matsumoto (9th) continued his success against the Bears with a goal and an assist including the game winner. Matt Tennyson (3rd) added a power play goal and James Sheppard added two assists in the victory.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 18-12-1-2, 39 points – 2nd in Atlantic and 5th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .591% - 11th in AHL
Home Record: 7-5-1-1
Away Record: 11-7-0-1
Attendance: 54,539 through 14 games (3,896 average)
Goals Scored: 88, 2.67 goals per game, 18th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 93, 2.82 goals against per game, 16th in AHL
Shots per game: 29.91 – 18th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 30.45 – 16th in AHL
Score 1st: 10-5-0-1 when scoring first (.656%)
1 goal games: 13-5-1-2 in one goal games -13 wins most in AHL
PP: 17.2%, 12th in AHL (28-163)
PK: 82.8%, 18th in AHL (26-151)
SHG – 1 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 23.00 penalty minutes per game, 4th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 41 – 3rd in AHL
OT Games – 9 – (1-1 record in OT) – Hamilton OTG
SO Games – 7 – (5-2 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 30 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Players receiving call-ups to San Jose – 0
NHL debuts – 0 Worcester players made their NHL debuts this season
Call-ups to San Jose – 0 different call-ups to San Jose this season
Top Worcester Sharks:Goals Kennedy (12)
Game Winners Matsumoto (3)
Assists Kennedy (18)
Points Kennedy (12-18-30)
Power Play Points Kennedy (4-9-13)
Shots Irwin (84 shots)
PIM Pelech (121)
Fighting Pen. Pelech (7)
Plus/Minus Kennedy and Reid (+5) Wins Stalock (12)
G.A.A. Stalock (2.51)
Save % Stalock (.915)
Shutouts Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com