Report from Worcester - 12/26/2012
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee was forward Jon Matsumoto. Jon scored two goals (5th and 6th), fired 7 shots, was +1, and was the #3 star in the Sharks 5-4 win at Providence on Friday in the only game last week.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 3rd place (14-10-1-2, 31pts) in the Atlantic Division and 6th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- Worcester is 5-2-0-1 in the month of December with four games remaining in December.
- The Sharks have won 9 of their last 11 road games (9-2-0-0).
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 6 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (6-6-0-1).
- Worcester has played in nine straight games decided by a single goal (5-3-0-1).
- Tim Kennedy ranks 10th in the AHL with 28 points (12-16-28) and 1st overall in shooting percentage (26.7%).
- The Sharks set a season high with 90 penalty minutes in the 5-4 win at Providence on Dec 21; Frazer McLaren had an AHL single game high of 37 penalty minutes.
- Defenseman Nick Petrecki returned to the Sharks blue line on Friday after missing the last 16 games with a hand injury. Nick recorded an assist and was +3 in the 5-4 win at Providence.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 523 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1143.
- Worcester has played an AHL high 9 overtime games this season and leads the AHL with 5 shootout victories.
- James Sheppard is tied for 1st in the AHL with four goals in the shootout this season (4-for-7) and has scored a goal in three straight games (4-1-5).
- The Sharks head to Manchester on Wednesday night for a 7pm battle vs. the Monarchs before returning home for a pair of games. The Sharks host the Manchester Monarchs on Friday at 7:30pm with a post game fireworks display presented by Enterprise Cleaning Corp. and then host the Providence Bruins on Saturday at 7pm with the first 500 kids 12-and-under receiving a free Worcester Sharks winter hat.
Top 3… Last Week
- Jon Matsumoto scores twice including the game winner with 10.5 seconds remaining in the Sharks 5-4 win at Providence on Friday
- James Sheppard scored in his third straight game (4-1-5), added an assist, and had 14 penalty minutes in the 5-4 win at Providence on Friday
- Defenseman Nick Petrecki returned to the lineup on Friday and recorded an assist and was +3 in the Sharks 5-4 win at Providence on Friday
Fri. 12/21 W Worcester SHARKS 5 @ Providence Bruins 4
Wed. 12/26 Worcester SHARKS @ Manchester Monarchs – 7 p.m.
Fri. 12/28 Manchester Monarchs @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:30 p.m.
Sat. 12/29 Providence Bruins @ Worcester SHARKS – 7 p.m.
Rewind the Tape:
The Worcester Sharks (14-10-1-2, 31pts) defeated the Providence Bruins (14-10-0-2, 30pts) 5-4 in a game that featured 144 penalty minutes on Friday evening in front of 7,572 fans at the Dunkin Donuts Center. Jon Matsumoto (6th) scored with 10.5 seconds remaining for the game winner and James Sheppard scored his 4th goal in three games and added an assist in the Sharks 9th straight one goal game (5-3-0-1). Alex Stalock was superb with 32 saves in his 10th win of the season and Matt Tennyson extended his point streak to four games (1-4-5) with an assist in the victory. John McCarty (4th) and Bracken Kearns (8th) also scored and Frazer McLaren had an AHL single game high 37 penalty minutes in the game.
Sharks in the Atlantic:
The Sharks (14-10-1-2, 31pts) are currently in 3rd place in the Atlantic Division; which is three points behind the 1st place Pirates (34pts in 29gp) and one point behind the 2nd place Bruins (32pts in 27gp). The Sharks have a one point edge over the 4th place Monarchs (30pts in 29gp) and a two point lead over the 5th place IceCaps (29pts in 31gp) to round out a very choppy Atlantic Division.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 14-10-1-2, 31 points – 3rd in Atlantic and 6th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .574% - 12th in AHL
Home Record: 5-5-1-1
Away Record: 9-5-0-1
Attendance: 43,028 through 12 games (3,586 average)
Goals Scored: 77, 2.85 goals per game, 15th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 82, 3.04 goals against per game, 22nd in AHL
Shots per game: 30.63 – 13th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 30.93 – 18th in AHL
Score 1st: 7-4-0-1 when scoring first (.625%)
1 goal games: 9-4-1-2 in one goal games
PP: 18.3%, 9th in AHL (26-142)
PK: 80.2%, 26th in AHL (25-126)
SHG – 1 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 25.65 penalty minutes per game, 3rd in AHL
Fighting Majors: 37 – 3th in AHL
OT Games – 9 – (1-1 record in OT) – Hamilton OTG
SO Games – 7 – (5-2 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 30 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:Goals: Kennedy (12)
Game Winners: Groulx and Hamilton (2)
Assists: Kennedy (16)
Points: Kennedy (12-16-28)
Power Play Points: Kennedy (4-9-13)
Shots: Irwin (63 shots)
PIM: Pelech (119)
Fighting Pen.: Pelech (7)
Plus/Minus: Kennedy (+5)
Wins: Stalock (10)
G.A.A.: Stalock (2.66)
Save %: Stalock (.909)
Shutouts: Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com