Report from Worcester - 12/19/2012
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee was forward James Sheppard. James scored three goals in the three games and was the #1 star in the Sharks 3-2 shootout win in Hershey on Saturday with a pair of power play strikes.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 3rd place (13-10-1-2, 29pts) in the Atlantic Division and 6th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- Worcester is 4-2-0-1 in the month of December.
- The Sharks played their 500th game in franchise history on Wednesday night vs. the Whale in Hartford and dropped a 2-1 decision (243-198-21-38).
- The Sharks have won eight of their last 10 road games (8-2-0-0).
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 6 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (6-6-0-1).
- Worcester has played in eight straight games decided by a single goal (4-3-0-1).
- Tim Kennedy ranks 9th in the AHL with 26 points (12-14-26).
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 522 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1142.
- Worcester has played an AHL high 9 overtime games this season and leads the AHL with 5 shootout victories.
- James Sheppard is tied for 1st in the AHL with four goals in the shootout this season (4-for-7).
- The Sharks head to Providence on Friday for a 7:05 p.m. battle vs. the Bruins before enjoying a three day holiday break.
Top 3… Last Week
- James Sheppard scored two power play goals and was named the #1 star in a 3-2 shootout victory in Hershey on Saturday.
- Jon Matsumoto recorded his first multi-point game in a Sharks sweater and scored the game winner in the shootout in Worcester’s 3-2 shootout win at Hershey on Saturday.
- Defenseman Matt Tennyson is riding a two game point streak with four points (1-3-4).
Last Week: (1-2-0-0) 2pts, 3gpWed. 12/12 L Worcester SHARKS 1 @ Connecticut Whale 2
Sat. 12/15 SOW Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Hershey Bears 2
Sun. 12/16 L Portland Pirates 3 @ Worcester SHARKS 2
This Week:Fri. 12/21 Worcester SHARKS @ Providence Bruins – 7:05 p.m.
Rewind the Tape:
The Worcester Sharks (12-9-1-2, 27pts) had their four game (3-0-0-1) point streak come to an end in a 2-1 loss to the Connecticut Whale (11-11-2-0, 25pts) on Wednesday night in front of 1,921 fans at the XL Center. The game marked the Sharks 500th game in franchise history (243-198-21-38). James Livingston scored the only goal for Worcester and Harri Sateri was superb in net with 36 saves in goal. The Sharks allowed two third period goals and Tim Kennedy had his season high eight game point streak come to an end in the loss.
12.15.12 – Worcester 3 – Hershey 2 – SOW – Giant Center
The Worcester Sharks (13-9-1-2, 29pts) won for an AHL leading 6th time (6-6-0-1) when trailing after 40 minutes of play in an exciting 4-3 shootout victory over the Hersey Bears (13-12-1-1, 27pts) on Saturday night in front of 10,075 fans at the Giant Center. James Sheppard scored two power play goals for Worcester and Alex Stalock made went 5-for-5 in the shootout for the win for the Sharks. Matt Tennyson added three assists while Jon Matsumoto scored a power play goal and scored the only goal in the shootout as the Sharks came back from an early 3-1 deficit for the victory.
12.15.12 – Worcester 2 – Portland 3 – L – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (13-10-1-2, 29pts) fell 3-2 in their eighth straight game decided by just one goal to the Portland Pirates (15-10-1-1, 32pts) on Sunday afternoon in front of 3,665 fans at the DCU Center. Harri Sateri played solid in net for the Sharks in the loss, turning aside 29 of the 32 shots that he faced. James Sheppard (6th) scored for a second straight game, scoring the Sharks second goal of the afternoon, after depositing two last night in Hershey. Matt Tennyson (2nd) also scored for the Sharks, burying a power play goal early in the first period.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 13-10-1-2, 29 points – 3rd in Atlantic and 6th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .558% - 16th in AHL
Home Record: 5-5-1-1
Away Record: 8-5-0-1
Attendance: 43,028 through 12 games (3,586 average)
Goals Scored: 72, 2.77 goals per game, 18th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 78, 3.00 goals against per game, 19th in AHL
Shots per game: 30.42 –14th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 30.73 – 16th in AHL
Score 1st: 6-4-0-1 when scoring first (.591%)
1 goal games: 8-4-1-2 in one goal games
PP: 17.9%, 9th in AHL (24-134)
PK: 80.9%, 25th in AHL (22-115)
SHG – 1 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 22.65 penalty minutes per game, 5th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 35– 3th in AHL
OT Games – 9 – (1-1 record in OT) – Hamilton OTG
SO Games – 7 – (5-2 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 29 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:Goals: Kennedy (12)
Game Winners: Groulx and Hamilton (2)
Assists: Kennedy (14)
Points: Kennedy (12-14-26)
Power Play Points: Kennedy (4-8-12)
Shots: Irwin (63 shots)
PIM: Pelech (107)
Fighting Pen.: Pelech (7)
Plus/Minus: Kennedy (+4)
Wins: Stalock (9)
G.A.A.: Stalock (2.57)
Save %: Stalock (.911)
Shutouts: Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com