Report from Worcester - 12/12/2012
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee was forward Brodie Reid. The 2nd year pro had three points (2-1-3), a GWG, and fired six shots on net to lead the way offensively for Worcester in two games last week.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 1st place (12-8-1-2, 27pts) in the Atlantic Division and 3rd place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- Worcester is 3-0-0-1 in the month of December.
- The Sharks will play their 500th game in franchise history on Wednesday night vs. the Whale in Hartford.
- The Sharks welcomed their 2nd largest crowd of the season on Saturday with 6,621 fans at the DCU Center as they witnessed the Sharks 3-2 shootout loss to the Bruins.
- The Sharks have won seven of their last eight road games (7-1-0-0).
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 5 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (5-6-0-1).
- Tim Kennedy ranks 3rd in the AHL with 26 points (12-14-26) and currently has an eight game point streak (7-7-14).
- Goaltender Harri Sateri has a personal four game winning streak (4-0-0).
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 521 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1139.
- Worcester has played an AHL high 8 overtime games this season and are tied for 1st in the AHL with four shootout victories.
- James Sheppard is tied for 1st in the AHL with four goals in the shootout this season (4-for-6).
- The Sharks head to Connecticut to face the Whale on Wednesday and then travel to Hersey to battle the Bears on Saturday. The Sharks return home on Sunday to square off against the Pirates on Sunday at 3pm as Boston Garden Legend Rene Rancourt will sing the national anthem and Sam James from the VOICE will perform during the first intermission.
Top 3… Last Week
- Brodie Reid scored the game winning goal and added an assist in the Sharks 3-2 win at Manchester on Sunday
- Tim Kennedy extended his point streak to eight games with a goal and an assist in the Sharks 3-2 win at Manchester on Sunday
- Travis Oleksuk scored his 2nd goal of the season and fired three shots in Worcester’s 3-2 shootout loss to the Bruins on Saturday
Last Week: (1-0-0-1) 3pts, 2gpSat. 12/8 SOL Providence Bruins 3 @ Worcester SHARKS 2
Sun. 12/9 W Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Manchester Monarchs 2
This Week:Wed. 12/12 Worcester SHARKS @ Connecticut Whale – 7 p.m.
Sat. 12/15 Worcester SHARKS @ Hershey Bears – 7 p. m.
Sun. 12/16 Portland Pirates @ Worcester SHARKS – 3 p.m.
Rewind the Tape:
The Worcester Sharks (11-8-1-2, 25pts) picked up a point, but fell short in a shootout in a 3-2 loss against divisional foe the Providence Bruins (10-8-0-2, 22pts) in front of 6,621 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday night on Matt Irwin Bobblehead Night. Tim Kennedy extended his point streak to seven games (6-6-12) with an assist on Brodie Reid’s (3rd) third period power play goal. Reid and Travis Oleksuk (2nd) provided the goals for the Sharks in the shootout loss. Stalock was solid in net once again, stopping 28 of 30 Bruins shots that he faced.
12.9.12 – Worcester 3 – Manchester 2 – W – Verizon Wireless Arena
The Worcester Sharks (12-8-1-2, 27pts) scored the only two goals in the third period in another exciting come from behind 3-2 victory over the Manchester Monarchs (11-10-2-1, 25pts) on Sunday afternoon in front of 4,386 fans at the Verizon Wireless Arena. With the victory, the Sharks moved into sole possession of first place in the Atlantic Division. Tim Kennedy extended his point streak to eight games (7-7-14) with his team leading 12th goal and an assist while Brodie Reid scored the game winner at 11:56 of the third period. Harri Sateri grabbed his 4th straight win in net for Worcester with 21 saves in goal including a breakaway save on Tanner Pearson early in the third period when the Sharks were down 2-1. The Sharks won for an AHL leading 5th time this season when trailing after 40 minutes of play as Worcester won for the 7th time in their last eight road games.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 12-8-1-2, 27 points – 1st in Atlantic and 3rd in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .587% - 9th in AHL
Home Record: 5-4-1-1
Away Record: 7-4-0-1
Attendance: 39,363 through 11 games (3,578 average)
Goals Scored: 65, 2.83 goals per game, 19th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 70, 3.04 goals against per game, 21st in AHL
Shots per game: 30.70 –13th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 30.61 – 16th in AHL
Score 1st: 6-2-0-1 when scoring first (.722%)
1 goal games: 7-2-1-2 in one goal games
PP: 16.9%, 12th in AHL (20-118)
PK: 80.4%, 25th in AHL (20-102)
SHG – 1 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 23.22 penalty minutes per game, 5th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 32– 3th in AHL
OT Games – 8 – (1-1 record in OT) – Hamilton OTG
SO Games – 6 – (4-2 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 29 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:Goals: Kennedy (12)
Game Winners: Groulx and Hamilton (2)
Assists: Kennedy (14)
Points: Kennedy (12-14-26)
Power Play Points: Kennedy (4-8-12)
Shots: Irwin (63 shots)
PIM: Pelech (100)
Fighting Pen.: Pelech (6)
Plus/Minus: Kennedy (+5)
Wins: Stalock (8)
G.A.A.: Stalock (2.56)
Save %: Stalock (.913)
Shutouts: Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com