Report from Worcester - 12/5/2012
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks had two player of the week nominees in forward Tim Kennedy and goaltender Harri Sateri. Kennedy recorded five goals in three games, was +5, and scored in the shootout to extend his point streak to six games (6-5-11). Sateri went 2-0-0 in two games this past weekend making 85 saves and was a perfect 9-for-9 in the shootout to lead the Sharks to back-to-back shootout victories on the road.
Catch the Worcester Sharks on SiriusXM NHL Radio:
Thursday, Dec. 6 - Tim Kennedy on hockey this morning on SiriusXM NHL Network at 8:45 a.m. ET
Saturday, Dec. 8 - Sharks vs. Bruins on SiriusXM NHL Network at 7 p.m. ET
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 1st place (11-8-1-1, 24pts) in the Atlantic Division and 3rd place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- Worcester finished with a 7-4-1-0 record in the month of November.
- Worcester is 2-0-0-0 in the Month of December.
- The Sharks have won six of their last seven road games (6-1-0-0).
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 4 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (4-6-0-1).
- Tim Kennedy was named the CCM AHL Player of the Week on Dec 3. Kennedy scored five goals, was +5, and scored a shootout goal in three games last weekend.
- Tim Kennedy ranks 4th in the AHL with 23 points (11-12-23), currently has a six game point streak (6-5-11), and scored five goals in three games last weekend.
- Harri Sateri made an AHL high 50 saves (2nd most by a Sharks netminder in a game) and went 5-for-5 in the shootout in the Sharks 3-2 win in Providence on Sunday.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 520 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1137.
- The Sharks had not scored a shorthanded goal in 70 games before Yanni Gourde scored a SHG on Sunday in Providence. The goal was also the first goal in Sharks history that was awarded after video replay.
- Worcester has played an AHL high seven overtime games this season and are tied for 1st in the AHL with four shootout victories.
- James Sheppard is tied for 1st in the AHL with four goals in the shootout this season (4-for-5).
- The Sharks next home game is on Saturday, December 8th at 7pm when the Providence Bruins come to town on Matt Irwin bobblehead night. The Sharks are 3-0-0-0 vs. the Bruins this season in the 12 game season series.
Top 3… Last Week
- Harri Sateri made an AHL season high 50 saves and was a perfect 5-for-5 in the shootout in a 3-2 victory in Providence on Sunday.
- Tim Kennedy scored two goals and scored in the shootout in the Sharks 4-3 shootout win in Bridgeport on Saturday.
- Yanni Gourde scores the first Sharks shorthanded goal of the season and the first in 70 games in Worcester’s 4-3 shootout win in Bridgeport on Saturday.
Last Week: (2-1-0-0) 4pts, 3gpFri. 11/30 L Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Portland Pirates 4
Sat. 12/1 SOW Worcester SHARKS 4 @ Bridgeport Sound Tigers 3 – SO
Sun. 12/2 SOW Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Providence Bruins 2 – SO
This Week:Sat. 12/8 Providence Bruins @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:00pm
Sun. 12/9 Worcester SHARKS @ Manchester Monarchs – 3:00pm
Rewind the Tape:
The Worcester Sharks (9-8-1-1, 20pts) allowed three second period goals en route to a 4-3 loss to divisional rival Portland Pirates (9-8-1-1, 20pts) in front of 3,578 fans at the Cumberland County Civic Center on Friday night. Tim Kennedy scored twice and James Sheppard lit the lamp for Worcester while Alex Stalock made 33 saves in the loss. Worcester closed out the month of November with a 7-4-1-0 record (15pts in 12gp).
12.1.12 – Worcester 4 – Bridgeport 3 – SOW – Webster Bank Arena
The Worcester Sharks (10-8-1-1, 22pts) received two more goals from the red hot Tim Kennedy and Harri Sateri made 35 saves and was perfect in the shootout in a 4-3 shootout victory over the Bridgeport Sound Tigers (10-8-0-1, 22pts) in front of 3,578 fans at the Webster Bank Arena on Saturday night. Tim Kennedy extended his point streak to five games with his team leading 9th and 10th goals of the season and rookie Freddie Hamilton also found the back of the net. Harri Sateri made 35 saves for his 2nd win of the season in a feisty affair that saw 78 total penalty minutes.
12.2.12 – Worcester 3 – Providence 2 – SOW – Dunkin Donuts Center
The Worcester Sharks (11-8-1-1, 24pts) picked up their 6th road win in their last seven tries in a 3-2 shootout win over the Providence Bruins (9-8-0-2, 20pts) on Sunday afternoon in front of 5,315 fans at the Dunkin Donuts Center. Tim Kennedy extended his point streak to six games (6-5-11) with his team leading 11th goal and 5th goal of the weekend and Yanni Gourde scored shorthanded. Harri Sateri made 50 saves in net for the victory and was 5-for-5 in the shootout as Worcester improved to 3-0-0-0 against the Bruins this season.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 11-8-1-1, 24 points – 1st in Atlantic and 3rd in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .571% - 11th in AHL
Home Record: 5-4-1-0
Away Record: 6-4-0-1
Attendance: 32,742 through 10 games (3,274 average)
Goals Scored: 60, 2.86 goals per game, 17th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 65, 3.10 goals against per game, 20th in AHL
Shots per game: 29.95 –17th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 30.95 – 16th in AHL
Score 1st: 6-2-0-0 when scoring first (.750%)
1 goal games: 6-2-1-1 in one goal games
PP: 17.0%, 11th in AHL (18-106)
PK: 79.8%, 25th in AHL (19-94)
SHG – 1 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 23.95 penalty minutes per game, 3rd in AHL
Fighting Majors: 29– 3th in AHL
OT Games – 7 – (1-1 record in OT) – Hamilton OTG
SO Games – 5 – (4-1 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 29 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:Goals: Kennedy (11)
Game Winners: Groulx and Hamilton (2)
Assists: Kennedy (12)
Points: Kennedy (11-12-23)
Power Play Points: Kennedy (3-7-10)
Shots: Irwin (55 shots)
PIM: Pelech (87)
Fighting Pen.: Pelech (5)
Plus/Minus: Kennedy (+5)
Wins: Stalock (8)
G.A.A.: Stalock (2.62)
Save %: Stalock (.911)
Shutouts: Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com