Report from Worcester - 11/28/2012
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is forward Tim Kennedy. Tim recorded seven points (1-6-7), was +3, and fired seven shots on goal last weekend in three games for the Sharks.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 2nd place (9-7-1-1, 20pts) in the Atlantic Division and 7th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- Worcester is 7-3-1-0 in the month of November and currently have won four straight games away from the DCU Center.
- The #WorSharks were trending on twitter after a wild 5-1 fight filled victory over the Pirates at the DCU Center on Saturday.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 518 wins in his career (15th season) and 3rd in games coached in the AHL with 1134.
- The Sharks lead the AHL with 4 wins when trailing after 40 minutes of play this season (4-5-0-1).
- Alex Stalock picked up career victory #67 as a member of the Sharks on Saturday vs. the Pirates and is 8-2-0 in his last ten starts in net for Worcester.
- Bracken Kearns leads the AHL with five power play goals and leads Worcester with seven total goals overall.
- Tim Kennedy ranks 13th in the AHL with 18 points (6-12-18) and currently has a three game point streak (1-6-7).
- Defenseman Matt Pelech leads the entire AHL with 87 penalty minutes in 13 games.
- Worcester travels to Portland on Friday at 7pm, to Bridgeport on Saturday at 7pm, and to Providence on Sunday at 3pm.
- The Sharks next home game is on Saturday, December 8th at 7pm when the Providence Bruins come to town on Matt Irwin bobblehead night.
Top 3… Last Week
- Freddie Hamilton scored with 2:01 left in OT in the Sharks exciting 4-3 win in Manchester on Friday.
- Brodie Reid recorded the Gordie Howe Hat Trick (Goal, Assist, Fight) in a big 5-1 win over the Pirates on Saturday.
- Yanni Gourde scored his 4th and 5th goals for the Sharks in a 5-1 win over the Pirates on Saturday.
Last Week: (2-0-1-0) 5pts, 3gpFri. 11/23 OTW Worcester SHARKS 4 @ Manchester Monarchs 3 – OT
Sat. 11/24 W Portland Pirates 1 @ Worcester SHARKS 5
Sun. 11/25 L Syracuse Crunch 6 @ Worcester SHARKS 1
This Week:Fri. 11/30 Worcester SHARKS @ Portland Pirates – 7:00pm
Sat. 12/1 Worcester SHARKS @ Bridgeport Sound Tigers – 7:00pm
Sun. 12/2 Worcester SHARKS @ Providence Bruins – 3:05pm
Rewind the Tape:
The Worcester Sharks (8-6-1-1, 18pts) scored the first two and the final two scores in an exciting 4-3 overtime victory over the Manchester Monarchs (8-6-1-1, 18pts) on Friday night in front of 5,433 fans at the Verizon Wireless Arena. With the victory, the Sharks moved into first place in the Atlantic Division.
Tim Kennedy and Curt Gogol scored early in the first period and Harri Sateri made 27 saves in the win as the Sharks extended their road winning streak to four games. John McCarthy forced overtime and rookie Freddie Hamilton scored with 2:01 remaining in the extra frame as the Sharks won their 4th straight road game when trailing after 40 minutes.
11.24.12 – Worcester 5 – Portland 1 – W – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (9-6-1-1, 20pts) scored three second period goals en route to a feisty 5-1 victory over divisional rival Portland Pirates (7-8-1-1, 16pts) in front of 3,320 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday night. Worcester increased their Atlantic Division record to 6-2-0-0 with the win. Worcester got goals from four different players in their third straight win against the Portland Pirates. Brodie Reid (2nd), Danny Groulx (2nd), Curt Gogol (3rd), and Yanni Gourde (4th, 5th) all notched goals for the Sharks in the win. Alex Stalock picked up the win in net for the Sharks, stopping 37 of 38 shots that he faced as the two teams combined for 143 penalty minutes and 15 fighting major penalties. Tim Kennedy added three assists in the win for Worcester. Click HERE for highlights from the game.
11.25.12 – Worcester 1 – Syracuse 6 – L – DCU Center
Bracken Kearns scored his team leading seventh goal for the Worcester Sharks (9-7-1-1, 20pts) in a 6-1 loss to the first place Syracuse Crunch (12-3-1-1, 24pts) in front of 2,563 fans at the DCU Center on Sunday afternoon. Rookie J.T. Brown recorded a hat trick for the Crunch and Tyler Johnson added two more as the Sharks two game winning streak came to an end. Alex Stalock made 30 saves in the loss while Frazer McLaren recorded his franchise leading 51st fighting major in the first period when he dropped the gloves with Jared Nightingale of the Crunch. The Crunch improved to 9-0-0-1 on the road this season with the win. Click HERE for the highlights from the game.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 9-7-1-1, 20 points – 2nd in Atlantic and 7th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .556% - 16th in AHL
Home Record: 5-4-1-0
Away Record: 4-3-0-1
Attendance: 32,742 through 10 games (3,274 average)
Goals Scored: 50, 2.78 goals per game, 19th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 56, 3.11 goals against per game, 19th in AHL
Shots per game: 29.61 –20th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 29.06 – 11th in AHL
Score 1st: 6-1-0-0 when scoring first (.857%)
1 goal games: 4-1-1-1 in one goal games
PP: 18.9%, 11th in AHL (17-90)
PK: 80.8%, 22nd in AHL (15-78)
SHG – 0 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 23.72 penalty minutes per game, 5th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 25– 3th in AHL
OT Games – 5 – (1-1 record in OT)
SO Games – 3 – (2-1 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 28 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:Goals: Kearns (7)
Game Winners: Groulx (2)
Assists: Kennedy (12)
Points: Kennedy (6-12-18)
Power Play Points: Kennedy (2-7-9)
Shots: Irwin (48 shots)
PIM: Pelech (87)
Fighting Pen.: Pelech (5)
Plus/Minus: Reid (+1)
Wins: Stalock (8)
G.A.A.: Stalock (2.50)
Save %: Stalock (.913)
Shutouts: Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com