Report from Worcester - 11/14/2012
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is forward Bracken Kearns. Bracken scored a goal in all three games last weekend (3-0-3), fired nine shots on goal, and currently leads the AHL with five power play goals on the season.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in 5th place in the Eastern Conference (6-5-1-1, 14pts).
- Worcester has points in six of their last seven games (5-1-1-0) and currently sits just one point behind the Manchester Monarchs for the Atlantic Division lead.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 515 wins in his career (15th season) and surpassed John Paddock on Nov 4 for the 3rd most games coached in the AHL with 1129.
- Freddie Hamilton scored his first professional goal in the 3rd period in the Sharks 3-1 win over the Pirates on Friday…. It turned out to be the game winner!
- Alex Stalock picked up career victories 64 and 65 as a member of the Sharks with a pair of victories over the Pirates and Bruins. Stalock is now 6-0-0 in his last six starts with a .949 save percentage.
- Bracken Kearns leads the AHL with five power play goals and leads Worcester with six total goals overall.
- The Sharks welcomed their 1,000,000th fan through the DCU Center turnstiles on Oct 28. Currently the Sharks have had 1,012,475 fans attend a regular season game in the 6+ years in Worcester. The Sharks will honor an honorary 1,000,000th fan before the Sharks game on Nov 17.
- Worcester travels to Lewiston, ME on Wednesday to battle the Pirates before returning home to host the CT Whale on Saturday at 7pm.
- Kevin Faulk from the NE Patriots will attend the Sharks game on Saturday and sign autographs as the Sharks host the 7th annual Worcester County Sheriff’s Food Drive to benefit the Friendly House of Worcester.
Top 3… Last Week
- Brandon Mashinter scored his first goal of the season (game tying 3rd period goal) and netted the game winner in the 6th round of the shootout as the Sharks defeated the Bruins 4-3 in Providence on Sunday.
- Freddie Hamilton scored his first professional goal, the game winner in the Sharks 3-1 win over the Pirates on Friday.
- Alex Stalock made 34 saves and went 4-for-6 in the shootout in 4-3 win in Providence on Sunday.
Last Week: (2-0-1-0) 5pts, 3gpFri. 11/9 W Portland Pirates 1 @ Worcester SHARKS 3
Sat. 11/10 L Connecticut Whale 6 @ Worcester SHARKS 2
Sun. 11/11 SOW Worcester SHARKS 4 @ Providence Bruins 3 – SO
This Week:Wed. 11/14 Worcester SHARKS @ Portland Pirates – 7:00 p.m. (in Lewiston, ME)
Sat. 11/19 Connecticut Whale @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:00 p.m.
Rewind the Tape:
Alex Stalock turned aside 25 out of 26 shots that he faced to pick up his fifth straight win in net in the Sharks (5-4-1-1) exciting 3-1 comeback win against the Portland Pirates (4-4-1-0) on Friday night in front of 2,026 fans at the DCU Center. Rookie forward Freddie Hamilton scored the game-winner for the Sharks, burying his first professional goal of his young career. Veteran forwards Bracken Kearns (PPG) and Jon Matsumoto (EN) also had goals to secure the victory as Worcester improved to 4-1-1-0 on home ice at the DCU Center and 4-0-1-0 in their last five games overall.
11.10.12 – Worcester 2 – Connecticut 6 – L – DCU Center
Sena Acolatse and Bracken Kearns registered goals for the Worcester Sharks (5-5-1-1) in a 6-2 loss against the Connecticut Whale (5-5-1-0) on Saturday night in front of 3,215 fans at the DCU Center. Cameron Talbot picked up the win in net for the Whale, stopping 21 of 23 shots that he faced. Sena Acolatse (1-1-2) and John McCarthy (0-2-2) each had multi-point games for Worcester in the loss. Christian Thomas (2-0-2), Chris Kreider (0-2-2), Kris Newbury (1-2-3), Chad Kolarik (0-2-2), and Matt Gilroy (0-2-2) all had multi point nights for the Whale as Worcester fell to 4-2-1-0 on home ice at the DCU Center. Harri Sateri allowed five goals on 24 shots in net for Worcester.
11.11.12 – Worcester 4 – Providence 3 – SOW – Dunkin Donuts Center
The Worcester Sharks (6-5-1-1) finished off their third consecutive 3-in-3 weekend with a hard fought come from behind 4-3 shootout win over the Providence Bruins (4-6-0-1) on Sunday afternoon in front of 6,201 fans at the Dunkin Donuts Center. Alex Stalock made 34 saves in the win for Worcester to improve to 6-0-0 in his last six starts. Bracken Kearns (6th) and Brandon Mashinter (1st) scored third period power play goals and Yanni Gourde scored his (3rd) of the season in the victory as the Sharks took four out of a possible six points this weekend.
Sharks in the Atlantic
The Sharks are swimming in 2nd place with 14 points (6-5-1-1) in the Atlantic Division through 13 games, which is 1 point behind the first place Manchester Monarchs (15pts in 11gp), two points ahead of the 3rd place St. John’s IceCaps (12pts in 13gp) and Portland Pirates (12pts in 11gp), and five points ahead of the 5th place Providence Bruins (9pts in 11gp) to round out a very choppy Atlantic Division.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 6-5-1-1, 14 points – 2nd in Atlantic and 5th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .538% - 16th in AHL
Home Record: 4-2-1-0
Away Record: 2-3-0-1
Attendance: 21,761 through 7 games (3,109 average)
Goals Scored: 35, 2.69 goals per game, 19th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 42, 3.23 goals against per game, 23rd in AHL
Shots per game: 30.00 – 17th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 28.77 – 13th in AHL
Score 1st: 4-0-0-0 when scoring first (1.000%)
1 goal games: 3-0-1-1 in one goal games
PP: 19.1%, 14th in AHL (13-68)
PK: 80.0%, 21st in AHL (11-55)
SHG – 0 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 22.08 penalty minutes per game, 5th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 15– 4th in AHL
OT Games – 3 – (0-0 record in OT)
SO Games – 3 – (2-1 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 27 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:Goals: Kearns (6)
Game Winners: Kearns, Groulx, Hamilton and Gogol (1)
Assists: Irwin and Kennedy (7)
Points: Kearns (6-5-11)
Power Play Points: Kennedy (1-5-6)
Shots: Irwin and Stalberg (34 shots)
PIM: Gogol (46)
Fighting Pen.: Pelech (3)
Plus/Minus: Groulx and Gogol (+1)
Wins: Stalock (6)
G.A.A.: Stalock (2.38)
Save %: Stalock (.916)
Shutouts: Stalock (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com