Report from Worcester - 11/7/2012
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is goaltender Alex Stalock. In two starts last week; Stalock went a perfect 2-0-0 allowing just two goals on 61 shots (.967 save %) which was highlighted by a 27 save shutout with a 1-0 shootout win over the Monarchs on Sunday.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are currently in sixth place in the Eastern Conference (4-4-1-1, 10pts).
- Worcester is currently on a four game point streak (3-0-1-0) and continue their four game home stand on Friday vs. Portland and Saturday vs. the Whale.
- The Sharks won their first-ever 1-0 shootout game over the Manchester Monarchs on Sunday.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks fourth in the AHL with 513 wins in his career (15th season) and surpassed John Paddock on Sunday for the third most games coached in the AHL with 1,126.
- Taylor Doherty and Travis Oleksuk each scored their first professional goals in the 2nd period in the Sharks 3-2 OTL to St. John’s on Saturday.
- Alex Stalock picked up career victories 62 and 63 as a member of the Sharks with a pair of victories over the Bruins and Monarchs. Stalock is now 4-0-0 in his last four starts with a .947 save percentage and a 1.48 GAA in his last five outings.
- Braken Kearns had a strong week with a pair of power play goals and a fighting major.
- The Sharks welcomed their 1,000,000th fan through the DCU Center turnstiles on Oct 28. Currently the Sharks have had 1,007,234 fans attend a regular season game in the 6+ years in Worcester. The Sharks will honor an honorary 1,000,000th fan before the Sharks game on Nov 17.
- Worcester’s four game home stand continues on Friday with a 7:30 p.m. start vs. the Pirates and concludes on Saturday with a 7 p.m. start vs. the Whale. The Sharks travel to Providence on Sunday at 3:05 p.m. to close out their third consecutive 3-in-3 weekend.
Top 3… Last Week
- Alex Stalock picked up his sixth career shutout (fifth with Worcester) with 27 saves in 1-0 shootout victory over the Monarchs on Sunday.
- Harri Sateri was terrific with 29 saves in 3-2 OTL to the IceCaps on Saturday.
- Taylor Doherty scored his first professional goal and added an assist in the Sharks 3-2 OTL on Saturday.
Last Week: (2-0-1-0) 5pts, 3gpFri. 11/2 W Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Providence Bruins 2
Sat. 11/3 OTL St. John’s IceCaps 2 @ Worcester SHARKS 3 – OT
Sun. 11/4 SOW Manchester Monarchs 0 @ Worcester SHARKS 1 – SO
This Week:Fri. 11/9 Portland Pirates @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:30 p.m.
Sat. 11/10 Connecticut Whale @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:00 p.m.
Sun. 11/11 Worcester SHARKS @ Providence Bruins – 3:05 p.m.
Rewind the Tape:
The Worcester Sharks (3-4-0-1) kicked off their 3-in-3 weekend with their first road victory of the season in a hard fought 3-2 win over the Providence Bruins (2-5-0-0) on Friday evening in front of 7,372 fans at the Dunkin Donuts Center. The road victory was the first in 14 games for the Sharks, with their previous road win occurring back on March 3, 2012 in Providence. Alex Stalock made 32 saves in the win for Worcester. Bracken Kearns scored two power play goals and Tim Kennedy scored his fourth of the season in the victory as the two teams combined for three sets of fighting majors and 70 penalty minutes.
11.3.12 – Worcester 2 – St. John’s 3 – OTL – DCU Center
Taylor Doherty and Travis Oleksuk scored their first professional goals for the Worcester Sharks (3-4-1-1) as the Sharks dropped a 3-2 overtime heartbreaker with 12 seconds remaining to the St. John’s IceCaps (5-5-0-0) on Saturday evening in front of 2,790 fans at the DCU Center. Harri Sateri was sharp in goal for Worcester making 29 saves in goal in the loss.
11.4.12 – Worcester 1 – Manchester 0 – SOW – DCU Center
Alex Stalock turned aside all 27 shots that he faced to pick up his first shutout of the season in the Sharks (4-4-1-1)exciting 1-0 shootout win against the Manchester Monarchs (5-2-0-1) on Sunday afternoon in front of 2,647 fans at the DCU Center. The Sharks outscored the Monarchs 3-2 in the shootout with goals scored by Jon Matsumoto, James Sheppard, and John McCarthy to secure the victory as Worcester improved to 3-1-1-0 on home ice at the DCU Center. It was the first game in Sharks history to enter the shootout in a scoreless tie. Martin Jones made38 saves for Manchester in the shootout loss for the Monarchs.
Sharks in the Atlantic
The Sharks are swimming in 2nd place with 10 points (4-4-1-1) in the Atlantic Division through 10 games, which is 1 point behind the first place Manchester Monarchs (11pts in 8gp), percentage points ahead of the 3rd place St. John’s IceCaps (10pts in 11gp), 1 point ahead of the 4th place Portland Pirates (9pts in 8gp), and 4 points ahead of the 5th place Providence Bruins (6pts in 8gp) to round out a very choppy Atlantic Division.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 4-4-0-1, 10 points – 2nd in Atlantic and 6th in Eastern Conference
Win percentage: .500% - 15th in AHL
Home Record: 3-1-1-0
Away Record: 1-3-0-1
Attendance: 16,520 through 5 games (3,304 average – 27th in AHL)
Goals Scored: 26, 2.6 goals per game, 20th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 32, 3.2 goals against per game, 21st in AHL
Shots per game: 30.1 – 15th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 28.60 – 7th in AHL
Score 1st: 3-0-0-0 when scoring first (1.000%)
1 goal games: 2-0-1-1 in one goal games
PP: 17.3%, 17th in AHL (9-52)
PK: 81.0%, 17th in AHL (8-42)
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 21.00 penalty minutes per game, 8th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 12– 2nd in AHL
OT Games – 2 – (0-0 record in OT)
SO Games – 2 – (1-1 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 27 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:Goals: Kennedy and Stalberg (4)
Game Winners: Kearns, Groulx, and Gogol (1)
Assists: Irwin, Kearns, and Kennedy (5)
Points: Kennedy (4-5-9)
Power Play Points: Acolatse and Kennedy (1-3-4)
Shots: Stalberg (30 shots)
PIM: McLaren (26)
Fighting Pen.: Pelech, Kearns, and McLaren (2)
Plus/Minus: Livingston and Gogol (+1)
Wins: Stalock (4)
G.A.A.: Stalock (2.53)
Save %: Stalock (.909)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com