Report from Worcester - 10/24/2012
The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
You can listen live to Worcester Sharks hockey this Sunday, Oct. 28 on the SiriusXM NHL Radio Network, when they take on the Bridgeport Sound Tigers at 3 p.m. ET.
Sharks Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is rookie forward Freddie Hamilton. In two games last week; Hamilton recorded his first two professional points (0-2-2), fired three shots, finished -1, and looked impressive up front for the Sharks.
See a report on the rest of the Sharks Prospects
Few things to know:
- The Sharks are expecting to welcome their 1,000,000th fan through the DCU Center turnstiles this weekend. Currently, the Sharks have had 997,473 fans attend a regular season game in the 6+ years in Worcester.
- The Sharks are currently in 14th place in the Eastern Conference (0-3-0-1, 1pt).
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 509 wins in his career (15th season).
- Rookie Freddie Hamilton recorded his first two professional points (0-2-2) in the Sharks 7-4 loss to the Pirates in Friday.
- Sena Acolatse and Tim Kennedy each scored their first goals of the season at the Pirates on Friday.
- Defenseman Matt Pelech dressed in his 300th career AHL game on Saturday vs. Albany.
- Worcester hosts the Bridgeport Sound Tigers on Friday at 7:30 p.m., travel to Manchester to battle the Monarchs on Saturday at 7 p.m., before returning home to host the Sound Tigers again on Sunday at 3 p.m.
Top 3… Last Week!
- Sena Acolatse scored his first goal of the season and fired five shots on goal in the Sharks 7-4 loss at the Pirates on Friday!
- Freddie Hamilton grabbed two assists in the Sharks loss at the Pirates on Friday!
- Jon Matsumoto had his best game with the Sharks on Saturday as he fired seven shots on goal in the Sharks 4-0 loss to Albany!
Last Week: (0-1-0-1) 1pts, 2gpFri., 10/19 L Worcester SHARKS 4 @ Portland Pirates 7
Sat. 10/20 L Albany Devils 4 @ Worcester SHARKS 0
This Week:Fri. 10/26 Bridgeport Sound Tigers @ Worcester SHARKS – 7:30pm
Sat. 10/27 Worcester SHARKS @ Manchester Monarchs – 7:00pm
Sun. 10/28 Bridgeport Sound Tigers @ Worcester SHARKS – 3:00pm
Rewind the Tape:
10.19.12 – Worcester 4 – Portland 7 – L – Androscoggin Bank Colisee
Sebastian Stalberg, Sena Acolatse, Yanni Gourde, and Tim Kennedy scored for the Sharks, but it wasn’t enough as the Sharks fell 7-4 to the divisional rival Portland Pirates at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee on Friday night. Alex Stalock made 22 saves in goal and rookie Freddie Hamilton picked up his first two professional points with a pair of assists in the loss.
10.20.12 – Worcester 4 –Albany 0 – L – DCU Center
Worcester outshot Albany 30-27, but it wasn’t enough as the Sharks fell 4-0 to the Albany Devils in the Sharks seventh home opener in front of a sellout crowd of 6,659 fans at the DCU Center on Saturday night. Albany netminder Keith Kinkaid made 30 saves in goal and Jacob Josefson picked up two goals to lead the way offensively for the Devils. Harri Sateri made 23 saves in the loss for Worcester as the Sharks fell to 3-2-1-1 in home openers at the DCU Center.
Sharks in the Atlantic: The Sharks are swimming in fifth place with one point (0-3-0-1) in the Atlantic Division through four games, which is five points behind the first place Manchester Monarchs (6pts in 4gp), three points behind the 2nd place Providence Bruins (4pts in 4gp) and St. John’s IceCaps (4pts in 4gp), and one point behind the 4th place Portland Pirates (2pts in 3gp) to round out a very choppy Atlantic Division.
Season by the Numbers:
Record: 0-3-0-1, 1 point – 5th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .125% - 28th in AHL
Home Record: 0-1-0-0
Away Record: 0-2-0-1
Attendance: 6,659 through 1 game (6,659 average – 9th in AHL)
Goals Scored: 9, 2.25 goals per game, 25th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 19, 4.75 goals against per game, 28th in AHL
Shots per game: 31.25 –10th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 27.50 – 10th in AHL
1 goal games: 0-0-0-1 in one goal games
PP: 12.5%, 19th in AHL (3-23)
PK: 76.5%, 20th in AHL (4-17)
SHGA – 2 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 21.75 penalty minutes per game, 6th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 2– 4th in AHL
OT Games – 1 – (0-0 record in OT)
SO Games – 1 – (0-1 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 21 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
Top Worcester Sharks:Goals: Stalberg (3)
Assists: Irwin (4)
Points: Irwin (0-4-4)
Power Play Points: Stalberg (2-0-2) and Irwin (0-2-2)
Shots: Stalberg (16 shots)
PIM: Pelech (22)
Fighting Pen.: Pelech (2)
Plus/Minus: several tied at EVEN
G.A.A.: Sateri (3.37)
Save %: Sateri (.873)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com