The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Shark Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (17-15-2-1, 37pts) chomped six out of a possible six points last week (3-0-0-0) to complete their first 3-in-3 weekend sweep since April of 2010.
The Sharks began the 3-in-3 home weekend at the DCU Center with a 3-1 victory over the Hartford Wolf Pack on Friday followed by a 5-1 thumping of the Norfolk Admirals on Saturday. Worcester finished the three game sweep with a close 4-3 win over the Portland Pirates to jump into 12th place in the Eastern Conference.
A trio of additions impressed with the Sharks last week as new signings Tyler Gron (1-0-1) and Yanni Gourde (2-3-5) each had strong weekends while rookie Lane Scheidl returned from injury and added a goal in two games for Worcester. In addition, defenseman Taylor Doherty scored his first professional game winning goal with a blast from the blue line on Sunday vs. the Pirates and goaltender Troy Grosenick made 52 saves on 55 shots (.945) in three starts before he left due to an injury on Sunday in the second period.
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is forward Yanni Gourde. The 22-year-old forward from St. Narcisse, Quebec was signed to a PTO on Monday and kicked off his 2nd tour of duty with the Sharks in style. Yanni had a point in all three games (2-3-5), fired seven shots, and was +2 in his return to Worcester. Gourde was the #1 star with a three point effort (1-2-3) in the 5-1 win over the Admirals on Saturday.
Associate coach David Cunniff recorded his 400th win in the 4-3 victory over the Portland Pirates on Jan 12. All 400 victories have occurred as the assistant/associate coach for the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliates.
Dan DaSilva has dress in 199 games for Worcester and is expected to dress in his 200th game on Friday in Norfolk.
Few things to know….
Top 3… Last Week!
- The Worcester Sharks are currently in 4th place (17-15-2-1, 37pts) in the Atlantic Division and 12th place overall in the Eastern Conference. – the Sharks trail the 8th and final playoff spot by just four points with two games in hand over the St. John’s IceCaps.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 15 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Stalock, Irwin, Vlasic, Nieto, McCarthy, Kearns, Hayes, and Tennyson).
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 2nd place in the Pacific Division and 4th place in the Western Conference with 62 points and a 28-12-6 record.
- Defenseman Matt Tennyson received his first NHL recall of the season on Jan 7 but has yet to suit up for the SJ Sharks this season.
- Forwards Riley Brace and Sebastian Stalberg were loaned to the SF Bull of the ECHL on Jan 7.
- Veteran Bracken Kearns is ranks 3rd in Worcester with 18 points (5-13-18), tops in power play points (3-7-10), and played in his 500th AHL game on Dec 28 vs. the IceCaps. Kearns was recalled by the SJ Sharks on Dec 28 and scored his 1st NHL goal in a 3-1 win over the Ducks on Dec 29. Bracken currently has three goals and an assist in nine games with the SJ Sharks this season and is currently on recall.
- Despite missing 11 games due to injury, Daniil Tarasov leads Worcester with 22 points (11-11-22) through just 24 games. Tarasov has three game winning goals and also has a shootout game winner.
- 2nd year pro Freddie Hamilton leads the club with 12 goals, 2nd on the team with 21 points (12-9-22), and tops with five 1st goals. Freddie has skated in 11 games with the SJ Sharks this season and is still looking for his 1st NHL point.
- Adam Comrie leads all Worcester defenseman with 13 points (1-12-13) in 27 games.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Matt Nieto (Oct 8 vs. NYR), Matt Pelech (Oct 10 at VAN), and Bracken Kearns(Dec 29 vs. ANA) each have scored their first career NHL goals for the SJ Sharks this season.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Alex Stalock is an impressive 5-2-0 with the San Jose Sharks this season with a 2.03 GAA and a .932 save %.
- Current San Jose Sharks forward and #WorSharks alum Joe Pavelski was named to the US Olympic men’s hockey team.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 557 wins in his career (16th season) and 2nd in games coached in the AHL with 1227.
Last Week: (3-0-0-0) 6pts, 3gp
- Yanni Gourde scored a power play goal, added two assists, was +2, and was #1 star in the Sharks 5-1 victory vs. the Admirals on Saturday!
- Freddie Hamilton scored his team leading 12 goal and added an assist in the Sharks 5-1 win past the Admirals on Saturday!
- Troy Grosenick made 21 saves to set the tone for the weekend with a 3-1 victory over the Wolf Pack on Friday!
Fri. 1/10 W Hartford Wolf Pack 1 @ Worcester SHARKS 3
Sat. 1/11 W Norfolk Admirals 1 @ Worcester SHARKS 5
Sun. 1/12 W Portland Pirates 3 @ Worcester SHARKS 4
Fri. 1/17 Worcester SHARKS @ Norfolk Admirals – 7:30pm
Sat. 1/18 Worcester SHARKS @ Norfolk Admirals – 7:15pm
Rewind the Tape:
1.10.14 – Hartford 1 – Worcester 3 – W – DCU Center
Tyler Gron scored in his debut as the Worcester Sharks (15-15-2-1, 33pts) picked up a 3-1 victory over the Hartford Wolf Pack (11-18-0-5, 27pts) in front of 3,203 fans at the DCU Center in on Friday evening. Brodie Reid nabbed the game winner at 13:39 of the third period and Daniil Tarasov added an empty netter for Worcester while Troy Grosenick was strong in net as he made 21 saves in his 7th victory of the season. Yanni Gourde assisted on the game winner in his return for the Sharks as Worcester moved back to .500 on home ice.
1.11.14 – Norfolk 1 – Worcester 5 – W – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (16-15-2-1, 35pts) exploded for three second period goals and won their third straight home game with an impressive 5-1 victory over the Norfolk Admirals (19-13-1-4, 43pts) in front of 3,616 fans at the DCU Center in on Saturday evening. Freddie Hamilton (1-1-2), Adam Comrie, Yanni Gourde (1-2-3), Daniil Tarasov (1-1-2), and Dan DaSilva (1-1-2) scored for Worcester while Troy Grosenick was strong in net as he made 24 saves in his 8th victory of the season. The two teams combined for 64 penalty minutes in a feisty affair as Worcester put an end to the Admirals three game win streak.
1.12.14 – Portland 3 – Worcester 4 – W – DCU Center
The Worcester Sharks (17-15-2-1, 37pts) won their fourth straight home game with a 4-3 victory over the Portland Pirates (15-14-1-5, 36pts) in front of 3,558 fans at the DCU Center in on Sunday afternoon. With the win the Sharks recorded three wins during the 3-in-3 home weekend and leaped frogged past the Pirates in the Eastern Conference. Lane Scheidl, Travis Oleksuk, Yanni Gourde, and Taylor Doherty scored for Worcester while Harri Sateri made 18 saves and picked up the win in relief after an injury to Troy Grosenick early in the second period. Worcester fired 42 shots and Dylan Demelo extended his point streak to five games with an assist in the 4-3 victory over the Pirates.
Season by the numbers...
Record: 17-15-2-1, 37 points – 4th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .529% – 18th in AHL, 11th in East
Home Record: 9-7-0-1
Away Record: 8-8-2-0
Attendance: 58,353 through 17 games this season – 3,433 average – 24th in AHL
Goals Scored: 85, 2.43 goals per game, 26th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 100, 2.86 goals against per game, 17th in AHL
Shots per game: 32.11 – 4th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 27.91 – 4th in AHL
Score 1st: 10-2-1-1 when scoring first (.786%)
1 goal games: 9-4-2-1 in one goal games
PP: 15.5%, 22nd in AHL (24-155)
PK: 83.3%, 12th in AHL (26-156)
SHG – 4 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 7 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 21.51 penalty minutes per game, 6th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 42 – 7th in AHL
OT Games – 8 – (0-2 record in OT)
SO Games – 6 – (5-1 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 28 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
NHL debuts – 2 Worcester Sharks alumni making their NHL debuts this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
o Goals Hamilton (12)
o Game Winners Tarasov (3)
o Assists Kearns (13)
o Points Tarasov (12-12-24)
o Power play Points Kearns (3-7-10) and Tarasov (5-5-10)
o Shots Hayes and Reid (81)
o PIM Gogol (138)
o Fighting Pen. Bonneau (8)
o Plus/Minus several players (+2)
o Wins Sateri (9)
o G.A.A. Grosenick (2.14)
o Save % Grosenick (.919)
o Shutouts Grosenick (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com