The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
Shark Snap Shot:
The Worcester Sharks (8-8-1-0, 17pts) chomped two out of a possible two points last week with a 3-1 victory at Lewiston, ME on Friday over the Portland Pirates. The Sharks are in the middle of a stretch where they will have played just once over an 11 day span and still have played the fewest amount of games (17) in the AHL.
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is defenseman Rob Davison. The 33-year-old veteran captain recorded his first two points in a Worcester Sharks sweater with two assists, was +2, and blocked several shots in the Sharks only game last week; a 3-1 win over the Portland Pirates on Friday.
Few things to know:
- The Worcester Sharks are currently in 4th place (8-8-1-0, 17pts) in the Atlantic Division and 13th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 12 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Stalock, Irwin, Vlasic, Pelech, and McCarthy).
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 1st place in the Pacific Division and 2nd place in the Western Conference with 41 points and an 18-3-5 record. The #SJSharks have currently won five straight games.
- Matt Nieto made his Worcester Sharks season debut on Friday in Lewiston, ME vs. the Pirates and fired three shots and was +1 after appearing in 19 games for the SJ Sharks this season.
- The Worcester Sharks have won three straight games (3-0-0-0), are 5-1-1-0 in their last seven games overall, and are .500 for the first time this season.
- The Worcester Sharks are tied for the AHL lead with four shootout victories (4-0).
- Veteran Bracken Kearns leads the #WorSharks with 14 points (4-10-14) through 17 games. Kearns also leads the club with eight power play points (3-5-8).
- Rookie goaltender Troy Grosenick ranks 2nd among all AHL goaltenders with a 2.03 GAA and is 4-2-0-0 this season.
- Goaltender Harri Sateri is 3-1-0 in his last four starts with an 1.92 GAA and a .920%.
- Despite missing six games due to injury, Daniil Tarasov leads the club with seven goals and 2nd with 12 points (7-5-12) through just 11 games. Tarasov is 3rd in AHL with three game winning goals.
- Adam Comrie leads all Worcester d-men with seven points (1-6-7) in 12 games.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Matt Nieto (Oct 8 vs. NYR) and Matt Pelech (Oct 10 at VAN) each have scored their first career NHL goals for the SJ Sharks this season
- Worcester Sharks alumni Alex Stalock is a perfect 3-0-0 with the San Jose Sharks this season with a 1.41GAA and a .952 save %.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 548 wins in his career (16th season) and 2nd in games coached in the AHL with 1209.
- The Sharks will play three games in three days this weekend!
- Friday at 7:30pm the Sharks host the Portland Pirates with $2 hot dogs, popcorn, and soda all night long and tickets for college students just $9!
- Saturday at 7pm the Shark host the Providence Bruins! The first 3,000 fans will receive a Jimmy Bonneau BobbleFist Doll courtesy of Enterprise Cleaning!
- Sunday at 3pm the Sharks travel to Manchester, NH to battle the Monarchs.
Top 3… Last Week
- Rob Davison recorded two assists and blocked several shots in the Sharks 3-1 win over the Pirates on Friday!
- Harri Sateri made 25 saves in his 4th win of the season in 3-1 win over the Pirates on Friday!
- James Livingston scored his 1st game winning goal of the season (3rd goal of year) in the Sharks 3-1 win!
Last Week: (1-0-0-0) 2pts, 1gp
Fri. 11/29 W Worcester SHARKS 3 @ Portland Pirates 1
Rewind the Tape:
11.29.13 –Portland 1 – Worcester 3 – W – Androscoggin Bank Colisee
The Worcester Sharks (8-8-1-0, 17pts) won for a season high third straight game with a 3-1 win over the Portland Pirates (7-7-1-2, 17pts) at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee on Black Friday. With the win, the Sharks improved to .500 for the first time this season and do not play again until next Friday at home vs. the Portland Pirates. Bracken Kearns and James Livingston scored in the second period while Harri Sateri was sharp with 25 saves in net. Freddie Hamilton sealed it with an empty net goal as Worcester recorded a three game win streak for the first time since the Sharks won three in a row on Dec 28-31st
Season by the numbers...
Record: 8-8-1-0, 17 points – 4th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .500% – 20th in AHL
Home Record: 4-5-0-0
Away Record: 4-3-1-0
Attendance: 28,439 through nine games this season – 3,160 average – 26th in AHL
Goals Scored: 38, 2.24 goals per game, 29th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 49, 2.88 goals against per game, 17th in AHL
Shots per game: 31.35 – 8th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 25.65 – 3rd in AHL
Score 1st: 4-1-1-0 when scoring first (.750%)
1 goal games: 5-3-1-0 in one goal games
PP: 15.2%, 21st in AHL (12-79)
PK: 84.1%, 11th in AHL (13-82)
SHG – 2 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 3 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 25.00 penalty minutes per game, 4th in AHL
Fighting Majors: 28 – 5th in AHL
OT Games – 5 – (0-1 record in OT)
SO Games – 4 – (4-0 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 24 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
NHL debuts – 1 Worcester Sharks alumni making their NHL debuts this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals Tarasov (7)
Game Winners Tarasov (3)
Assists Kearns (10)
Points Kearns (4-10-14)
Power play Points Kearns (3-5-8)
Shots Reid (44)
PIM Doherty (54)
Fighting Pen. Bonneau (5)
Plus/Minus Doherty and Tarasov (+1)
Wins Grosenick (4)
G.A.A. Grosenick (2.03)
Save % Grosenick (.920)
Shutouts Grosenick (1)
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com