The Report from Worcester is a weekly update on the San Jose Sharks AHL affiliate, the Worcester Sharks.
The Worcester Sharks (3-7-0-0, 6pts) chomped zero out of a possible six points in three games last week and will now head northeast for a three game set in Canada vs. the St. John’s IceCaps.
Despite firing a season high 46 shots on Friday night in Lewiston, ME, the Sharks began their 3-in-3 weekend with a 5-1 loss to the Pirates. On Saturday night, the Sharks dropped a 5-2 decision to the Bruins in front of 5,616 fans at the DCU Center. The Sharks closed out the weekend on the wrong end of a 4-3 score to the Pirates on Sunday afternoon in Worcester to close out the 3-in-3 weekend with zero points.
The Worcester Sharks player of the week nominee is defenseman Sena Acolatse. The 22-year old third year pro grabbed three points (0-3-3) and fired six shots in three games last week for the Sharks.
Few things to know….
- The Worcester Sharks are currently in 5th place (3-7-0-0, 6pts) in the Atlantic Division and 15th place overall in the Eastern Conference.
- The Worcester Sharks have only played ten games (fewest in AHL) this season.
- The San Jose Sharks currently have 12 players on their roster that have spent time in Worcester (Couture, Desjardins, Pavelski, Sheppard, Wingels, Braun, Demers, Stalock, Irwin, Vlasic, Nieto, and McCarthy).
- The San Jose Sharks are currently in 3rd place in the Pacific Division and 5th place in the Western Conference with 25 points and a 10-2-5 record.
- Veteran defenseman Rob Davison was named the 6th captain in Worcester sharks history before the game on Oct 12. Bracken Kearns and Jimmy Bonneau are the alternate captains.
- Rookie netminder Troy Grosenick has been impressive so far this season with a 2-2-0 record and a 2.17 GAA and a .924 save %.
- Bracken Kearns (3-8-11) leads the Worcester Sharks in points (11), assists (8), power play points (3-4-7), and fighting majors (3).
- Daniil Tarasov leads the club with six goals and 11 points (6-5-11) through just nine games. Tarasov leads the entire AHL with three game winning goals.
- Sena Acolatse leads all Worcester d-men and is 3rd overall with six points (1-5-6) through nine games.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Matt Nieto (Oct 8 vs. NYR) and Matt Pelech (Oct 10 at VAN) each have scored their first career NHL goals for the SJ Sharks.
- Worcester Sharks alumni Alex Stalock made his 1st NHL start on Oct 27 and made 38 saves in a 5-2 SJ Sharks win at Ottawa.
- Coach Roy Sommer currently ranks 4th in the AHL with 543 wins in his career (16th season) and 2nd in games coached in the AHL with 1202.
- The Sharks play three games this week in St. John’s, NFLD – the first time in franchise history the Sharks will play a three game set vs. the same team in the regular season.
- Wednesday at 6pm (EST)
- Friday at 6pm (EST)
- Saturday at 6pm (EST)
Top 3… Last Week!
Last Week: (0-3-0-0) 0pts, 3gp
- Sena Acolatse recorded two assists in the Sharks 4-3 loss to the Pirates in Worcester on Sunday!
- Troy Grosenick kept the Sharks in the game early and made 22 saves in a 5-2 loss to the Bruins on Saturday!
- Matt Pelech scored his 1st goal of the season and fired six shots on goal in a 5-1 loss at Lewiston, ME vs. the Pirates on Friday!
Fri. 11/8 L Worcester SHARKS 1 @ Portland Pirates 5
Sat. 11/9 L Providence Bruins 5 @ Worcester SHARKS 2
Sun. 11/10 L Portland Pirates 4 @ Worcester SHARKS 3
Wed. 11/13 Worcester SHARKS @ St. John’s IceCaps – 6pm (EST)
Fri. 11/15 Worcester SHARKS @ St. John’s IceCaps – 6pm (EST)
Sat. 11/16 Worcester SHARKS @ St. John’s IceCaps – 6pm
Rewind the Tape:
11.8.13 – Portland 5 – Worcester 1 – L – Androscoggin Bank Colisee
Head coach Roy Sommer became just the 2nd coach in AHL history to hit the 1200 game plateau but his Worcester Sharks (3-5-0-0, 6pts) fell to the Portland Pirates (3-5-0-1, 7pts) by the count of 5-1 at the Androscoggin Bank Colisee on Friday night in kick off a 3-in-3 weekend. Matt Pelech scored the only Sharks goal on 46 shots while Harri Sateri made 24 saves in the loss as the Pirates won for the 1st time on home ice this season. Mark Visentin made 45 saves and Lucas Lessio scored his 1st two professional goals to pace the way for Portland.
11.9.13 – Providence 5 – Worcester 2 – L – DCU Center
Bracken Kearns and Eriah Hayes scored for the Worcester Sharks (3-6-0-0, 6pts) but it wasn’t enough in a 5-2 loss to the Providence Bruins (6-4-0-2, 14pts) in front of 5,616 at the DCU Center on Saturday during Autism Awareness Night to benefit the Autism Resource Center of Central Massachusetts. Troy Grosenick made 24 saves in his first professional loss. A slew of penalties and strong goaltending from Bruins rookie goaltender Malcolm Subban contributed to the Sharks loss in their first game against division rival Providence.
11.10.13 – Portland 4 – Worcester 3 – L – DCU Center
Adam Comrie, Nick Petrecki and James Livingston all picked up goals for the Worcester Sharks (3-7-0-0, 6pts) but were unable to defeat the Portland Pirates (4-5-0-1, 9pts) for the second time this weekend, falling 4-3. The Sharks trailed 1-0, 2-1, but led 3-2 early in the third period before Chris Brown scored twice in a 3:26 span to life the Pirates to a 4-3 victory. Despite keeping penalty minutes to a minimum, the Sharks were unable to hold on to the lead, partly due to strong performances from Portland’s Tobias Rieder, Chris Brown and Tim Kennedy, each with two points.
Season by the numbers...
Record: 3-7-0-0, 6 points – 5th in Atlantic
Win percentage: .300% – 29th in AHL
Home Record: 2-5-0-0
Away Record: 1-2-0-0
Attendance: 22,423 through seven games this season – 3,203 average – 24th in AHL
Goals Scored: 22, 2.20 goals per game, 29th in AHL
Goals Allowed: 35, 3.50 goals against per game, 26th in AHL
Shots per game: 32.30 – 6th in AHL
Shots allowed per game: 26.50 – 5th in AHL
Score 1st: 2-1-0-0 when scoring first (.667%)
1 goal games: 1-3-0-0 in one goal games
PP: 18.8%, 13th in AHL (9-48)
PK: 83.6%, 10th in AHL (9-55)
SHG – 1 shorthanded goals scored
SHGA – 2 shorthanded goals allowed
PIMS – 27.00 penalty minutes per game, 2nd in AHL
Fighting Majors: 16 – 6th in AHL
OT Games – 0 – (0-0 record in OT) – only team yet to play an OT game
SO Games – 0 – (0-0 record in SO)
Roster Players – the Sharks have used 24 players this season
Goalies – the Sharks have used 2 goaltenders this season
NHL debuts – 1 Worcester Sharks alumni making their NHL debuts this season
Top Worcester Sharks:
Goals Tarasov (6)
Game Winners Tarasov (3)
Assists Kearns (8)
Points Kearns (3-8-11) and Tarasov (6-5-11)
Power play Points Kearns (3-4-7)
Shots Hayes (31)
PIM Doherty (41)
Fighting Pen. Bonneau, Kearns, and Doherty (3)
Plus/Minus Doherty (+1)
Wins Grosenick (2)
G.A.A. Grosenick (2.17)
Save % Grosenick (.924)
Shutouts Grosenick (1)
Socialize with the Worcester Sharks all year long! Join us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/WorcesterSharks, follow us on Twitter @WorcesterSharks, and download the Worcester Sharks App for free on your Droid or iPhone today!
All games can be heard live on 580AM and 94.9FM WTAG, as well as online through AHL Live, by following the link on the Sharks website at www.SharksAHL.com.
For more information on the Worcester Sharks, visit SharksAHL.com