Friday's Baker's Dozen - 5/18/2012
Time for my weekly Baker's Dozen.
- Obviously I wish the Sharks were playing right now – it’s weird watching the Western Conference Finals instead of being involved in them the last two years. I still watch the games because there is nothing like playoff hockey.
- Congrats to Michal Handzus who scored the winner for Slovakia to beat Canada in the quarterfinals at the World Championships. I am thinking if Vlasic was playing Zues doesn’t score that goal.
- I think it was back in early January when I told Ruzzie that LA scared me because they were hanging around 7th to 10th spot in the West and at the same time were 30th in the NHL is goals scored. That’s 30th as in dead last, behind Columbus, the Islanders and others teams that had less points. They were doing it with team defense and great goalteng and conventional wisdom said if they started to score they would be a tough team down the stretch. All that said, I never imagined they would go on the run they are currently on in the playoffs. They have a record of 11-1, haven’t lost on the road and all against the top 3 seeds in the Western Conference.
- Scoring goals is tough come playoff time. Here are the total goals and goals per game from the Conference Semi-finals.
Teams Games Total Goals Goals Per Game WSH vs NYR 7 28 4.00 NJD vs PHI 5 29 5.80 NSH vs PHX 5 21 4.20 STL vs LAK 4 21 5.25
- John Tortorella, "I'm being sincere, too. I'm not gonna give you much information. Some of you guys sit here and tell me I'm curt or whatever. I'm not gonna have a staring contest. If you don't ask me questions, I'll just leave. So that's the way it is. I'm sorry, I'm not a guy that wants to converse about everything during the playoffs. I'm not."
- John Tortorella just can’t win. He gives the media what they want, notable quotes and is in jeopardy of getting fined by the league. He gives short answers (the media are actually word counting) and he is disrespecting the league. Oh what’s an opinionated coach to do in today’s media world?
- Here are some stats to remind Sharks fans how fortunate we are to have such a consistent, successful organization over the years.
- One of two teams (Detroit) to make the playoffs the past 8 seasons (going back to 2003/04
- One of two teams (Detroit) to post 40 + wins the past 8 seasons. Only Detroit has more regular season wins in the past eight seasons.
- Todd McLellan’s 194 wins are the most by any head coach in his first four NHL seasons in NHL history.
- Dave Tippett had some pointed assessment of players embellishing to draw penalties. "The game is turning a little dishonest. And it's embellishment by players. When it's done well, it's very hard for the referees, because if you fall down near the boards, or you drop your stick or you throw your head back, you're putting the referee in a very tough situation."
- There was so much travel the last few months of the season I got away from doing my yoga. Glad to say I am back at it doing Bikram and also some Hot Pilates. Equally glad to say my wedding cakes are back to muffin tops – now it’s time for a little Insanity to get rid of the tops. Seriously, if you want to be humbled go do yoga for 60 to 90 minutes in a hot room where you have to look at yourself in a mirror.
- If you want to watch more great hockey, and why wouldn’t you, then tune into the NHL Network which will be broadcasting the Memorial Cup starting today, May 18.
- Speaking of Junior hockey, Dale Hunter has decided to go back to London, Ontario to oversee the London Knights of the OHL where he is the Owner and President and live close to his family, friends and farm. Ahhhh, now we know why he wasn’t worried about the repercussions of cutting back, like way back, Ovechkin’s icetime.
- Some good news to share in regards to ex-Shark Shawn Burr, although most people know him from his days in Detroit. Doctors have a donor for a bone marrow transplant for Burr who has a form of leukemia. Burr, one of the funniest guys ever to play the game, could use our thoughts and prayers at this time. Here is the link to the article.
- So a player, Jonathan Vilma of the New Orleans Saints, filed a lawsuit against the Commissioner of the NFL, Roger Goodell. Raffi Torres is appealing his 25 games suspension. The NFL and NFLPA had a work stoppage last summer. The NBA and NBAPA had a work stoppage last fall. The NHL this past week sent a notice to the NHLPA that it wants to modify or terminate the existing Collective Bargaining Agreement which could lead to a work stoppage beginning Sept 15. Oh how money has become the name of the game.