Randy's Thought of the Day - 4/17/2014
The greatest day of the season has arrived for Sharks fans. It’s the start of the Stanley Cup Playoffs!
I was fortunate enough to have been around when the 1993-94 Sharks shocked the hockey world by qualifying for the playoffs for the first time in only their third season and then stunned the hockey world by knocking off Detroit in game 7.
Bob Errey, now a successful television broadcaster with the Pittsburgh Penguins, was the captain of that 1993-94 Sharks squad. Before game 1 of that series, Errey posted his now famous “16 Points for Playoff Success” on the bulletin board in the Sharks dressing room. It’s been somewhat of a tradition to re-post Errey’s list. So in keeping with Sharks tradition, here it is.
1. It takes 16 Wins to Win the Stanley Cup.
2. 4 Wins per series.
3. Never dwell on the past (Good, Bad, Win, Lose).
4. Never take anything for granted.
5. One shift is as important as 20.
9. Throw statistics out the window.
11. Play bigger.
12. Never Retaliate.
13. Get pucks out, get pucks deep.
14. You’re never out of a game (major penalty for high-sticking = 5 min. PP)
15. Have fun.
16. Heart is more important than skill.
Here’s to hoping for a long ride and lot’s of fun.
I’m Randy Hahn for sjsharks.com