Randy's Thought of the Day - 5/5/2013
The Sharks are off to a great start in these playoffs. A win tonight in game 3 against Vancouver would put them in a 3-0 series lead. But there’s a long way to go and just like in the regular season there are going to be lots of ups and downs. At this time of the year it’s always good to revisit Bob Errey’s 16 tips to Stanley Cup playoff success.
Bob Errey, who is now a TV commentator for Pittsburgh, was a Stanley Cup winner with the Penguins as a player and was also captain of the Sharks in 1994 when they were matched up against the mighty Detroit Red Wings in the first round. Errey decided to write down his 16 points for playoff success.
1. It takes 16 WINS to win the Stanley Cup
2. 4 Wins per series
3. Never dwell on the past (good, bad, win, lose)
4. Never take anything for granted
5. One shift is as important as 20
9. Throw statistics out the window
11. Play bigger
12. Never retaliate
13. Get pucks out, get pucks in
14. Never out of a game (ie. high sticking major = 5 minute PP)
15. Have fun
16. Heart is more important than skill