Throwback Thursday - 8/9/2012
To celebrate Sharks history, each week we will highlight moments of the past. So check back to the Daily Chomp each week to celebrate with us for Throwback Thursday. In addition, we will be giving away special Sharks throwback items every Thursday.
This week the Daily Chomp takes a look at the Sharks 2005-06 season.
Did you know... Joe Thornton became the first Sharks player to win the Art Ross Trophy (scoring title) and the Hart Memorial Trophy (Most Valuable Player).More from that year:
- Acquired C Joe Thornton as part of a four-player deal with Boston on Nov. 30.
- Acquired LW Ville Nieminen from the N.Y. Rangers in exchange for a third round selection (83rd overall) in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft on March 6, 2006.
- RW Jonathan Cheechoo received the Maurice “Rocket” Richard Trophy for leading the League and becoming the first Sharks player to score 50-plus goals in a season (56).
- San Jose set franchise records in goals scored (266), power play goals scored (91), most shots on goal (2,483) and power play percentage (18.2).
- Thornton was also voted as the “Sharks Player of the Year” and was a finalist for the Lester B. Pearson Award (MVP as chosen by the players).
Pop Culture of that year:
- The Disneyland Resort celebrated it 50th birthday.
- London won the right to host the 2012 Olympic Games.
- Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston officially announced their break-up.
- Tom Cruise infamously jumped on Oprah’s couch, proclaiming his love for Katie Holmes.