Throwback Thursday - 7/5/2012
To celebrate Sharks history, each week we will highlight moments of the past. So check back to the Daily Chomp each week to celebrate with us for Throwback Thursday. In addition, we will be giving away special Sharks throwback items every Thursday.
This week the Daily Chomp takes a look at the Sharks 1999-2000 season.
Did you know... Defenseman Brad Stuart was named as a finalist (second) for the Calder Memorial Trophy. He is also named to the NHL’s All-Rookie Team.More from that year:
- RW Owen Nolan and LW Jeff Friesen record the Sharks first dual hat trick game on Oct. 4, 1999 to defeat the Chicago Blackhawks, 7-1.
- G Steve Shields is named NHL Player of the Week for Oct. 11-17, posting a 3-0-0 record, .083 GAA and a .979 save percentage. He set the franchise record for scoreless streak by a goaltender at 141:46.
- RW Owen Nolan was named NHL Player of the Week for Dec. 6-12 with six points (4-2=6) and a plus-5 rating in three games. He would go on to set franchise records for most points (84), goals (44), and PP goals (18) and would finish fifth in voting for the Hart Trophy as the league’s MVP.
- Sharks upset the President’s Trophy-winning St. Louis Blues in the Stanley Cup Playoffs in seven games. The team improved its points total for the fourth consecutive season, setting a new franchise mark for points (87).
- The team sets a franchise record for winning percentage (.530).
- C Mike Ricci was named as a finalist (third) for the Frank J. Selke Trophy.
- Leading up to the new millennium, Y2K panic swept the world.
- Budweiser’s “Wassup” advertising campaign first appeared on television during Monday Night Football.
- Star Wars Episode One: The Phantom Menace was released in theaters.
- The music downloading site Napster was launched online.
- The finale of the first season of Survivor attracted over 51 million viewers.
Sharks Throwback GiveawayFill out the form below for a chance to win a unique Sharks Throwback prize. Increase your chances of winning and tweet using #SharksThrowback or text "Throwback" to 74499.
This giveaway contest has ended and is closed for any further submissions.